Welcome to Severnvale Academy!
Professionalism, combined with the personal attention & flexibility which only a small school can offer… Severnvale provides expert teaching in a friendly, supportive adult environment
is something we have all experienced at one time or another in our lives. It depends on experienced teachers understanding your individual needs as a learner; and then having the flexibility and skill to adapt to them, helping you learn as much as possible. We have a team of such teachers – enthusiastic, well-qualified and caring - and have developed courses and teaching methods which inspire, motivate, and most of all, deliver the language progress you want.
...in an adult learning environment...
minimum student age 20; typical age-range 22 – 55; average age 28-35. Throughout the academic year all classes are maximum 6, average 4-5 people; in summer (July/August) morning classes only are max. 8, av. 5-6 people. Severnvale accepts a maximum of 40 adults at any time – typical numbers are between 22 and 35 at most times of the year. All lessons are of 45 minutes’ duration. Facilities are extremely comfortable and include 9 classrooms, computer & listening centres, library, separate lounges for smokers and non-smokers, sun terrace etc.
...in a unique location
Shrewsbury is one of the finest medieval towns in England. A regional capital with a population of 100,000 - centrally located with no regional accent - yet not dominated by tourism and with just one accredited language school - Severnvale Academy. This is a place where total immersion really is possible.
Intensive summer courses for young people
Why choose Severnvale? Here are three good reasons:
1. They're safe
- Students are FULLY SUPERVISED throughout the course
- We are the only accredited language school in Shrewsbury, so we have the pick of the best families
- We only use host families we know and trust
- Emergency phone lines are available 24 hours a day
- We give students a full introduction to their stay in England
- All excursions are led by senior Severnvale staff
- Shrewsbury is NOT a big, dangerous city
2. They're FUN
- We go to some of the top leisure parks in Britain
- Excursions don't only mean seeing things - they mean DOING things too
- Full day excursions usually include 2 or 3 different kinds of activity
- EVERYTHING is included in the course price - no hidden extras!
- We use top quality venues for sports, for swimming, for cinema, for football matches
- We have great barbecues - eat-as-much-as-you-want, at no extra charge
- We have brilliant discos
- We enjoy it all too!
3. You learn
- We care that learning happens: we don't just keep our students conveniently occupied
- Our teachers are all qualified and enthusiastic and know how to motivate young people
- We have a very international environment - often 18 to 20 different nationalities here at the same time
- We're a small school. Our youth centre is limited to 95 students so that we can know everyone personally
- Classes are small too: the guaranteed maximum is 12 in a class; typically there are 9 or 10
- In our syllabus design, DOING and ENJOYING are vital elements - they aren't just left to chance
- Staff monitor every student's progress; we keep spaces open in the higher classes for promotion
- We set homework and we check that it's done: we give awards for good work and progress
- Our youth centre is well-equipped and comfortable