Summer at SOAS
SOAS offers a wide variety of courses taught in the summer months, varying in length, structure, and price. To get a taste of the SOAS experience takes a look at the video! If you would like to broaden your horizons at summer school and get a new learning experience then have a look at what is on offer below.
Taking a summer course at SOAS enables students to learn about a wide range of topics, combining cutting-edge academic research, innovative teaching and practice-oriented learning.
Whether you are a current student, a recent graduate, a young professional, or if you would like to upgrade your knowledge, taking a summer school course will broaden your horizons.
What can I study?
Summer School courses are offered throughout three sessions and enrolment is open for one session, only, of a combination of sessions:
|Session 2: 2 July - 20 July 2018||Session 3: 23 July - 10 August 2018|
|Capitalism, Crisis, and the Neoliberal State||Development & Conflict|
|Gender, Conflict and the Middle East||Finance and Risk Management|
|NGOs and Social Movements: the Politics of Protest and Change||International Relations in the 21st Century|
|Public Financial Management||International Law: Contemporary Issues|
|The Middle East in Global Politics||Migration and Diaspora|
Courses are taught at level 2/3 of a typical SOAS undergraduate degree programme and are suitable for undergraduates, as well as graduates and postgraduates without in-depth knowledge of a specified topic.
Attending the SOAS Summer School enables you to:
- Join our diverse and international student community
- Make your views heard – SOAS’ innovative teaching methods, based on excellence in research, enable students to add to the lively discussions and critical analysis in the classroom;
- Learn from our highly experienced and specialised academic staff – SOAS has the largest concentration in Europe of experts on the Middle East, Africa and Asia;
- Be critical and make a difference – SOAS challenges mainstream schools of thought, taking a non-Western centric approach and encouraging students to develop a critical outlook and foster change;
- Pave your way into SOAS: Summer School students can apply to continue their studies at SOAS, with over 115 Postgraduate programmes to choose from.
Summer School Key Facts
Application Deadline: 25 May 2018
A university student or a graduate at the time of attending the Summer School, and 18+ years of age. Professional experience can be acknowledged as equivalent to a university qualification.
- Participants have to be 18 or over at the time of attendance.
- Fluency in English demonstrated through:
- TOEFL Paper-based test we require a minimum of 583 with minimum 53 in all skills and for TOEFL Internet Based Test we require a minimum of 93 with minimum 20 in all skills.
- IELTS, 6.5 overall or higher, with at least 6 in all subscores.
- Pearson Test of English a score of 59-64
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) Grade B
- If you have studied in an English speaking institution, or have courses taught at your university in English (excluding English language courses) you may meet our requirements without having to supply a certificate. Evidence of this will either need to be included on a transcript or letter from your university.
- Applicants with an alternative qualification should contact us for advice.
- Applicants whose English language level do not meet out requirements may be interested in our subject-based courses with English language support.
Enrolment of Summer School applicants who don't meet the entry requirements is at the discretion of SOAS - please get in touch to speak to us in detail about your application.
Once you have paid the £40 application fee and submitted the online application form, you will be informed as to whether you have a place at the summer school within 5 working days. Please do not pay your tuition fee prior to having received your offer letter.
Assessment and Credits
Students are usually able to obtain credits from their home institution, typically our courses receive:
- 3 credits in the US system
- 7.5 ECTS in the European system.
If you intend to claim credits from your home institution, please check the requirements with them before you enrol. We will be happy to assist you in any way we can, however, please be aware that the decision to award credits rests with your home institution.
Assessment will be optional and will vary for each course. Participants will be provided with a certificate of attendance and transcripts will be available on request.
Sessions 2 & 3: Monday - Thursday
- 46 hours contact time.
- Monday - Thursday
- 10am - 3pm: lectures and tutorials
- Additional 2 hours on a specified Friday involving content-related optional activities, such as museum or company visits.
- On Fridays, courses open up one of their activities to all Summer School students, giving each student a variety of different activities to attend.
There is a one-off, non-refundable application fee of £40.
- Sessions 2 & 3 - £1,600
An early bird discount of 10% is available until 30 March 2018
Accommodation is available to Summer School students at the SOAS Halls of Residence, Dinwiddy House. For details of how to book a room please visit the Dinwiddy House accommodation page.
Our friendly and vibrant campus is located in the heart of London at the centre of historic Bloomsbury. The capital's rich cultural and social life is literally on our doorstep! During the SOAS Summer SchooL, you will be invited to attend a diverse social programme offered by SOAS and the Summer School team, including course-related activities, a welcome and a farewell reception, a Thames River cruise, and various events offered by SOAS throughout the summer.
In addition, you can book discounted trips through our partner International Friends or you can explore what the city has to offer. A detailed programme will be available closer to the Summer School's start.
I found my classes extremely stimulating and found the teachers to be very qualified, as they all had previous professional experience in the fields they were teaching. The campus is beautiful and each classroom is reasonably sized with students from all over the world. It is also located in a very nice part of London that has plenty of things to offer once the class is over. SOAS was an enriching experience for me and I would not change it for anything in the world.
Owen, Finance & Risk Management Northeastern University, Boston, USA
This school offers programs in: