MEI Has Helped Students for over 30 Years
Over the last 10 years, MEI has served more than 2,000 students from 77 different countries, representing 44 different languages.
MEI is a Friendly-Sized School
Fewer than 100 students are admitted every semester so that teachers can work personally with you. You will be able to make friends easily with students from all over the world.
MEI is Part of the University of Maryland
UMD is a major American university. It is ranked one of the USA's “Top 100 research universities.” It is also one of the “Top 25 Green Universities.”
MEI is Close to Washington, D.C.
MEI is just a few miles from Washington, D.C., the capital city of the United States of America. This location makes MEI a great place to study, learn, and live.
The mission of the Maryland English Institute (MEI) is to provide English language instruction and assessment at the postsecondary level for speakers of other languages who wish to learn English for academic, professional, or personal reasons. MEI fulfills its mission by providing:
- A full-time, multi-level Intensive English program
- Part-time courses for matriculated University of Maryland students
- Courses for international teaching assistants
- Assessment of oral communication skills of international teaching assistants
- Custom-designed programs for UMD constituents and external organizations
- MEI offers rigorous courses of study while providing a positive and supportive learning community and promoting cross-cultural understanding.
The mission of the Intensive English Program (IEP) of Maryland English Institute is to offer international students high-quality, multi-level academic English language instruction, cultural orientation, and preparation for academic study at the University of Maryland and other universities in the United States. Students who want to study English for professional or personal reasons are also welcome to enroll.
What We Do
We teach English to speakers of other languages. Many of our students want to succeed in an American college. Some of our students want better jobs at home. Some of our students just want to learn English.
We also do English language testing for the university. We help students prepare to be International Teaching Assistants. We help university students get ready for full-time study. We help graduate students learn to write better.
Every year, students from more than 50 countries come to study with us. We have been teaching English since 1980. We hope you choose to study at MEI.
Maryland is one of the 50 U.S. states. It was one of the original 13 U.S. states. Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington DC border Maryland to the south and west. Pennsylvania borders Maryland to the north and Delaware borders it to the east.
Maryland has so many different natural features that it is nicknamed “America in Miniature.” There are parks, beaches, mountains, forests, and countrysides. The Chesapeake Bay, the largest estuary in the United States, is also in Maryland.
Weather in Maryland is usually comfortable, and Maryland has four seasons. The average temperature in summer is around 85 degrees Fahrenheit (30 degrees Celsius), while the average temperature in winter is around 45 degrees Fahrenheit (7 degrees Celsius). Spring and fall are very beautiful, with mild temperatures and bright sunlight.
About the University of Maryland
The Maryland English Institute is part of the University of Maryland, College Park (UMD). Below are key facts about the university.
- A major public research university (a “Public Ivy”)
- The flagship institution of the University System of Maryland
- Located on 1,250 acres of rolling land with 400 acres of the urban forest
- 5th best value among public colleges (Kiplinger’s Personal Finance)
- 38th on Shanghai Jiao Tong University’s list of the world’s top 100 universities
- 12 NCAA Athletic Championships since 2005
- 26,829 Undergraduate Students
- 10,805 Graduate Students
- 37,631 Total Enrollment
- 3,491 International Undergraduate Students
- 4,287 International Graduate Students
- 7,778 Total International Enrollment
- 134 Countries of Origin
- 4,248 Total Faculty
- 3 Nobel laureates
- 5 Pulitzer prize-winning faculty members
- 48 members of the National Academies
- 18:1 Student-to-Faculty Ratio
127 undergraduate degrees and 112 graduate degrees in thirteen different colleges and schools:
- A. James Clark School of Engineering
- College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- College of Arts and Humanities
- School of Music
- College of Behavioral and Social Sciences
- College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences
- College of Education
- College of Information Studies
- Philip Merrill College of Journalism
- Robert H. Smith School of Business
- School of Architecture, Planning & Preservation
- School of Public Health
- School of Public Policy
- Top 20 among U.S. public research universities (U.S. News & World Report)
- 30 programs in the top 10
- 71 programs in the top 25
Ten Most Popular Fields Of Study
- Behavioral & Social Sciences
- Business & Management
- Computer, Math & Physical Sciences
- Arts & Humanities
- Chemical & Life Sciences
- Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Public Health
- Architecture, Planning, & Preservation
- 230,000 square foot Eppley Recreation Center
- Outdoor Aquatic Center
- Outdoor Recreation Center
- Adventure Complex
- Numerous Sports Clubs
- Campus Bike Shop
- Variety of Instructional Programs
- Eight libraries, 3.9M+ library volumes
- Computer labs all over campus
- Campus-wide wireless
- Science labs
- International media center
- Learning resource center
- Academic tutoring services
- Campus Writing center
- Association of American Universities (AAU)
- Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area
- Middle Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association (MAISA)
- Fields Institute (an international research center)
- Big Ten Conference (starting July 2014)
- UMD is a public university and a member of the University System of Maryland (USM).
University of Maryland
MD 20742 College Park, Maryland, USA