The Academy of Media Arts Cologne (KHM) was established in 1990. The challenging project based study it offers brings together practices and theories from the fields of art, film/television and art and media theory in one course: the Media and Fine Art diploma degree.
Between media, around media or without being defined by any medium in particular, the KHM creates a special experimental climate for independent, artistic work. The individual development of artistic projects, their guidance and reflexive appropriation, is at the core of the “Media and Fine Art” diploma degree course. These projects are supported by the interdisciplinary supervision of professors, artistic and academic staff and technicians. Student work takes place in the ateliers, studios and laboratories of the KHM, which are equipped with high-quality facilities, oriented to the wide variety of subjects taught. Furthermore, the connection between artistic praxis and theoretical discourses, with film theory analysis and aesthetic and philosophical questioning, is an essential component of the course, the teaching and research.
The following study emphases and fields of action are to be understood as interchangeable and combinable examples:
- Animation/3D animation
- Image design/camera/montage
- Experimental film/video art
- Sound art
- Creative production/TV formats/live directing
- Art and media theory
- Art in public space/performance
- Art of networks and apparatus
- Directing feature and documentary film
The Media and Fine Art degree course can be taken
(I) as a 9-semester course (Degree 1)
(II) as a 4-semester course (Degree 2)
- Standardised course with the possibility of individual specialisation
- Centred on the individual artistic project
- Course begins in the winter semester
- Application with expressive work samples that illustrate artistic aptitude
- Application deadlines end of January/beginning of February application forms available for download at www.khm.de/study-programme
- No tuition fees (only social security contributions of approx. 280 € per semester )
The transdisciplinary approach in teaching and research, the on-going collaboration with colleges, both domestically and internationally, with cultural institutions, festivals, exhibition organisers as well as the media and film industries also paves the way for networks and activities in the broad fields of art and media in which students work after graduation. The special qualification of KHM graduates is based in the ability of self-organise and a sensitive perception of complex media realities. They are active in the most diverse of ways in art, television and film praxis. They work successfully, for example, both individually as well as in collectives, as artists, programmers, film directors, camera men and women, scriptwriters, designers, producers or in other self-employed businesses. And a substantial number of them now pass on their competence in college teaching roles.
This school offers programs in: