University Extension Course for Legal Assistant for People with Intellectual Disabilities
Universidad Rey Juan Carlos
EUR 8,500 *
Earliest start date
* price for non-resident non-community students is just approximate since then each academic rate is different.
The University Extension Course for Legal Assistant for People with Intellectual Disabilities is specifically designed to empower individuals with intellectual disabilities by providing them with comprehensive knowledge in various legal matters, enabling them to pursue more significant employment opportunities in society.
Through this degree, students will be equipped with the skills to educate others about the rights of people with intellectual disabilities and prepare them for successful careers as legal assistants in companies related to the administration of justice, such as consultancies and law firms.
The course aims to create quality employment opportunities within a university environment, granting students university recognition, and paving the way for their future inclusion as legal advocates and trainers, as well as support staff in law firms or legal consultancies.
The title wants:
- Promote the student's social and labor autonomy.
- Empower people with intellectual disabilities by teaching specific knowledge that allows them to broaden their work horizons.
- Train people with intellectual disabilities in the knowledge of their rights and that they are part of their lives.
- Create quality jobs as law trainers in different fields such as education and business, and as legal assistants in companies.
- Impact on society and public opinion in order to overcome the limits and barriers that exist on intellectual disability.
- Promote diversity within the university environment, and collaboration between degree students and those who are pursuing higher studies at the URJC.
- With this title, the URJC becomes a very advanced university since it is the first time that a university has provided such specialized training, linked to a highly qualified work environment such as the legal one.
Module A. Development and Learning (50 ECTS)
- Relational and communication skills
- Learning strategies
- Organization and planning
- society and culture
- Body expression
Module B. Law and Disability. Legal Training (38 ECTS)
- Introduction to law
- Fundamental rights of people with disabilities
- Disability in the field of private law
- Work, employment, and social services for people with disabilities
- Tax measures to support disability
- Reinforcement of legal content and paralegal training
- Rights of people with disabilities in the health field
- Management of legal databases
Module C. External Internships (12 ECTS)
Module D. Final Degree Project (20 ECTS)
- The student will be able to act as a trainer-disseminator on the rights of people with ID in different settings such as education, health, legal, and specifically in the field of disability (Schools, health centers, Special Employment Centers, Occupational Centers, Foundations/Associations, etc.).
- The student may carry out auxiliary tasks as a legal consultant.
- The student will be able to carry out administrative functions related to the administration of justice, especially in law firms and legal consultancies.
- General knowledge of the law as an instrument for regulating social relations
- Knowledge of the fundamental rights recognized in the Constitution and its defense instruments, with special reference to its exercise by people with intellectual disabilities.
- Knowledge of the basic principles of civil law, and its most relevant institutions.
- Knowledge of the basic principles of labor law and its most relevant institutions.
- Knowledge of the basic principles of tax law, and its most relevant institutions.
- Knowledge of the main rights that assist people with ID in the field of health care.
- Students will be able to perform searches in legal databases
- Students will be able to identify legal problems related to people with intellectual disabilities and refer them to a specialist in the competent branch of law in each case.
- Students will learn the main forms and administrative and judicial procedures in the field of civil, tax, and labor law.
- Students will be trained to carry out administrative tasks of a paralegal nature, such as monitoring deadlines, filling in forms, requesting certifications and simple notes before the registries, procedures to obtain NIEs, requests for documentation from translators and notaries, procedures for legalization of documents for foreigners, procedures related to the notarization of social agreements before a notary public, procedures related to the request for electronic signature, etc.