Music: Piano Teacher Certificate
Full time, Part time
USD 131 / per credit *
Earliest start date
* resident; USD 188 per credit hour - non-resident; USD 265 per credit hour - out-of-state and international
The Piano Teacher Certificate program is designed for pianists to pursue professional careers as private piano teachers. The curriculum is structured to provide instruction in piano teaching materials and techniques as well as music theory and history. In addition, students are given numerous opportunities to observe and teach children enrolled in group piano classes on campus. (Two supervised teaching sessions of children are required.) The program is aligned with beginning and intermediate requirements provided in Michigan’s Student Achievement Testing and the Royal Conservatory programs.
In order to enter the Piano Teacher Certificate program, each applicant must audition to demonstrate an appropriate level of musicianship. MUSIC 121 - Class Piano 1 and MUSIC 104 - Basic Materials in Music Theory may help to develop the skills necessary to successfully pass the audition. Contact the Music department for further information. Applicants having successfully completed the Keys for Piano Teachers Skills Certificate are automatically eligible and coursework will transfer.
Students who satisfactorily complete the program requirements, and upon recommendation of the music faculty, qualify for a certificate of program completion.
Applied Music has an added fee.
Sample Schedule of Courses
- MUSIC 131 - Applied Music - Piano 1 Credits: 2
- MUSIC 137 - Sight Singing and Ear Training 1 Credits: 2
- MUSIC 143 - Practice Teaching and Practicum in Piano Teaching 1 Credits: 2
- MUSIC 153 - Music Theory 1 Credits: 3
- MUSIC 201 - Keyboard Skills for Piano Teachers 1 Credits: 2
- MUSIC 247 - Piano Teaching Techniques and Materials 1 Credits: 3
Total Credits: 14
- MUSIC 132 - Applied Music - Piano 2 Credits: 2
- MUSIC 138 - Sight Singing and Ear Training 2 Credits: 2
- MUSIC 144 - Practice Teaching and Practicum in Piano Teaching 2 Credits: 2
- MUSIC 154 - Music Theory 2 Credits: 3
- MUSIC 202 - Keyboard Skills for Piano Teachers 2 Credits: 2
- MUSIC 257 - Piano Teaching Techniques and Materials 2 Credits: 3 *
Total Credits: 14
Program Total: 28 Credits
*These classes are offered on a rotational basis. Contact the Liberal Arts office for current offerings.
Not all courses are offered each semester. Students should work with an academic advisor to develop a schedule that will work for them. Students planning to transfer should check the transfer institution’s requirements/guides.