Associate of Arts in
Associate of Arts in Psychology for Transfer Mt. San Antonio College
The Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer introduces students to the psychological principles and methodologies used in the scientific study of mental processes and behaviors. Students will acquire the foundational knowledge necessary to pursue post-secondary degrees in psychology and a variety of specializations in the field. The goals of this degree are to prepare students to identify research and statistical methods appropriate to psychology, to compare and contrast the major theoretical perspectives in psychology, and to synthesize the relationships between biological and behavioral functions.
To earn an associate degree for transfer, a student must complete 60 semester units that are eligible for transfer to CSU that consist of IGETC pattern or CSU GE breadth and a major of at least 18 units. Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework to receive an associate degree for transfer and all courses in the major must be completed with a C or better. Students earning an associate degree for transfer will not be required to complete any other local graduation requirements.
Upon successful completion of this program, a student will be able to:
- Matriculate to a Bachelor’s program in psychology or a related discipline.
- Describe research and statistical methods appropriate to psychology.
- Compare and contrast major theoretical perspectives in psychology.
- Synthesize relationships between biological and behavioral functions.
- PSYC 1A Introduction to Psychology 3 or PSYC 1AH Introduction to Psychology - Honors
- PSYC 3 Introduction to Research Methods in Psychology 4 or PSYC 3H Introduction to Research Methods in Psychology - Honors
Choose one of the following: 3-4
- PSYC 10 Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
- MATH 110 Elementary Statistics
- MATH 110H Elementary Statistics - Honors
Choose one from the following: 3-4
- BIOL 1 General Biology
- BIOL 4 Biology for Majors
- BIOL 4H Biology for Majors - Honors
- PSYC 1B Biological Psychology
Choose one course from the following or any course not already selected from List A: 3-4
- BIOL 13 Human Reproduction, Development, and Aging
- CHLD 11 Child and Adolescent Development
- ENGL 1C Critical Thinking and Writing
- ENGL 1CH Critical Thinking and Writing - Honors
- PHIL 3 Introduction to Logic
- PHIL 3H Introduction to Logic - Honors
- PHIL 8 Critical Thinking
- PHIL 9 Critical Thinking and Writing
- PHIL 9H Critical Thinking and Writing - Honors
- PSYC 14 Developmental Psychology
- SOC 1 Introduction to Sociology
- SOC 1H Introduction to Sociology - Honors
Choose one course from the following or any course not already selected from List A or List B: 3
- PSYC 5 Psychology of Reasoning and Problem Solving
- PSYC 15 Introduction to Child Psychology
- PSYC 19 Abnormal Psychology
- PSYC 20 Introduction to Social Psychology
- PSYC 25 The Psychology of Women
- PSYC 26 Psychology of Sexuality
- PSYC 33 Psychology for Effective Living
Total Units for Major 19-22
- CSU General Education or IGETC Pattern* 39-42
Total Units 60
*Courses may be double-counted with either CSU-GE or IGETC.