Mitchell Community College has been educating residents of Iredell County and surrounding communities since it was chartered in 1852 as a Presbyterian college for women. In the early years, faculty of the Concord Presbyterian Female College in downtown Statesville placed heavy emphasis on music and fine arts. This focus continued as the College evolved into Mitchell College in 1917, and when the College became a junior women's college in 1924. Many of Iredell's young men found their dreams of a college education slipping away in the Great Depression, and Mitchell College responded by welcoming these men to campus in 1932.
Mitchell continued its evolution and in 1959 became an independent community college operated by the Mitchell College Foundation and recognized by the state. Mitchell Community College became the 57th member institution of the North Carolina Community College System in 1973. By 1983, college administrators saw a demand for classes in Mooresville, and the Mooresville Central High School Gymnasium was acquired and renovated to serve as the Mooresville Center. Today the college has a campus in Mooresville that offers a full range of classes and services.