Laney College is the largest of the four Peralta Community College District campuses, serving approximately 17,000 students annually. As the flagship college for the Peralta District, Laney College stretches across sixty acres in downtown Oakland, California, one of the most ethnically and economically diverse cities in America. Laney is also one of the oldest community colleges in the nation, celebrating 67 years in 2020.
The Laney College service area includes the adjacent cities of Alameda, Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland, and Piedmont. It also draws students from the Greater Bay Area because of its reputation for diversity and high quality technical training.
Laney College offers associate degrees in more than 20 liberal arts and science fields; a significant number of graduates go on to attend 4-year colleges and universities, including the University of California and California State University systems.
Laney College has preserved and continuously updated a remarkable set of career and technical (CTE) programs. These programs include traditional trade areas like Electrical Technology (state certified), Welding, Industrial Maintenance, Machining, and Carpentry. The college has also developed new programs in other advanced technical fields such as Building Automation Systems (one of three programs in the USA), Digital Design, Medical Device Engineering Technology, 3-D design and Rapid manufacturing, and Advanced Lighting Technology. The college offers programs in the applied arts such as Professional Photography and Graphic Design.
Laney College has one of the few Restaurant Management programs in the Bay Area and a world-class Baking and Pastry program.
Finally, Laney College is a national leader in sustainability education. Energy efficiency and related sustainability-themed courses can be found in many different departments including Carpentry, Environmental Control Technology, Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, Electrical Technology, Biology, and Chemistry.
Dream. Flourish. Succeed.
Laney College educates, supports, and inspires students to excel in an inclusive and diverse learning environment rooted in social justice.
- Respect: We demonstrate a commitment to the value of each individual through trust, cooperation, and teamwork. We recognize the worth of each individual and his or her ideas and treat each other and those we serve fairly, with compassion and with esteem.
- Diversity: We are a multicultural and diverse organization, an enriching blend of people and ideas. This college is a place for all people, an environment devoted to fostering and embracing the diversity of our staff, faculty and student body.
- Appreciation: We demonstrate recognition in the value of the efforts put forth by all of our faculty, staff, administrators and students. We will foster employee growth and performance levels through and personal development.
- Competence: We share a commitment to performing our work assignments with excellence and continuous improvement. We emphasize doing our best in teaching and learning, student achievement, administrative practices and delivery of support services.
- Integrity: We are committed to nurturing campus trust by holding ourselves accountable to the highest standards of professionalism and ethics.
- Accountability: We are individually and collectively responsible for achieving the highest levels of performance in helping students acquire the necessary skills and abilities to earn associate degrees, certificates, transfer, and career preparation. We continually evaluate ourselves in an effort to improve our effectiveness and efficiency in meeting the educational needs of our community.
- Innovation: We encourage and support creativity, collaboration and risk-taking. We foster and promote innovation in the design, development, support, delivery, and management of all programs and services.
- Collaboration: We work cooperatively in a shared governance environment and value individual ability and diversity in thinking as essential to promote open communication, active participation, exchange of ideas and collaborative decision-making.