Summer Course in Graphic Design in Branding
IED – Istituto Europeo di Design Barcelona
EUR 3,150 *
19 Jul 2024
Earliest start date
* enrollment fee €1.000 + course fee €2.150
The field of visual identity design for businesses, products, events, and services has changed significantly. Today, brands are more dynamic, shifting, adaptive, and evolving than ever. They are no longer a static element, and more and more devices and platforms are emerging on which to deploy visual identity systems. This calls for a strategic approach and efficient design capable of keeping up with these trends.
The Summer Graphic Design in Branding course explores the relationship between visual interfaces and user experience and seeks to understand how they are linked to printed and digital media, social media, digital dissemination, and promotion platforms, and how it all applies to the environments around us.
This course is especially geared towards people who are interested in gaining insight into the main tools used in generating design and visual communication projects and learning the basic concepts used in the graphic design world and particularly in visual identity, branding, and brand culture.
It also targets designers from other fields, graduates and undergraduates in fine arts, communication, photography, publishing, advertising or printing, and entrepreneurs seeking to broaden their knowledge of strategic graphic design. University students and graduates in Graphic Design and visual and interactive communication.
Some command of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and/or Acrobat will be valued positively. Students will not be taught how to use these tools during classroom hours but will be asked to produce their projects using the software of their choice.
The course is based on case studies and other project methodologies such as Visual Design Thinking.
This summer course is essentially about observing, analyzing, comparing, creating, and developing strategies, resources, and methodologies to design visual identity systems. Applicable to corporate identity, branding, wayfinding, event design, product design, exhibition displays, social media, and digital media.
It boosts creativity, fosters new design trends, and trains the designers' way of thinking (consciously), encouraging them to project and design responsibly with the present and future in mind.
Blended, 8 weeks online, 1 week on-site. On-site schedule: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9h30 am to 3 pm; Tuesday and Thursday from 9h30 am to 3 pm and from 4 pm to 6h30 pm.
- Providing an introduction to the different stages of a design and visual communication project geared towards visual identity systems.
- Working with different representation techniques, making models (dummies), drawing up quotes, and understanding how to manage, produce and implement a project.
- Exploring new design criteria based on a case study and other project methodologies (visual design thinking) and analyzing the different ideas students come up with to solve the same problem within a specific project.
- Learning about the materials, tools, strategies, techniques, and technology linked to Graphic Design and Visual Communication.
- Developing creative concepts and the ability to think up aesthetically pleasing, functional, and effective design and communication solutions for branding projects.
- Building up the skills needed to present a good professional project.
- Interpreting trends and keeping up with technological and innovative breakthroughs.