Associate in Sciences: Early Childhood Education
Los Angeles, USA
Full time, Part time
Earliest start date
Early Childhood Education focuses on the teaching and care of young children by providing the theoretical background of child development and developmentally appropriate practices of education of young children. Students who complete this degree may enter with junior status to the California State University system, and will be given priority admission to our local CSU campus.
Students receiving this transfer degree must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
(A) The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.
(B) A minimum of 24 semester units in the major as determined by the community college district. (Minimum 2.0 GPA for major courses)
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0
A.S.-Transfer Degree Level Student Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Early Childhood Education A.S.-Transfer Degree will:
- Demonstrate the ability to identify, analyze, and apply theories of early childhood education and child development.
- Demonstrate global consciousness as they work with diverse cultures, families, and individuals and teach children.
- Acquire knowledge and foundational teaching skills necessary to work in the teaching profession
- Apply effective guidance and teaching strategies that support social growth, learning, identity development and promote self-confidence.
- Design, implement and evaluate environments and activities that support positive relationships, social skills and learning outcomes for children.
- Apply ethical standards and professional behaviors that demonstrate an understanding knowledge, and a deepening commitment to the child development profession and early childhood education.