A good indoor environment has a significant effect on people’s health, well-being and work performance. The design of workspaces must take into account the activities and tasks that are to be carried out in the office.
Purpose of the course is to provide a multidisciplinary overview on workspaces promoting health and well-being of users. The purpose is also to introduce user-centered, participatory approach for workplace design and workplace changes. Scope of the course is on modern office environments, like multispace offices, research and learning environments as well as the social and health care sector.
- Occupational health and safety professionals
- Workplace designers
- Interior designers
- Workplace owners and managers
- Human resources managers and developers
Lectures, case studies and practical examples, interactive sessions and group discussions, excursions, networking
- salutogenic and user-centred approach for workplace design, one that promotes user’s health and well-being in buildings
- central factors in workspaces that promote well-being
- user-centred and participatory approach for workplace design
- good practices for managing workplace changes
- usability of buildings and central design factors
- restorative and healing environments
The changes in today’s work life require a new approach to designing workspaces. The way in which work is changing, new working practices, and changes in working behaviour all affect the use of workspaces and the future needs of work premises. The significance of workspaces and the way in which they are used are undergoing changes. The rapid development of information and communications technology means that work is no longer necessarily tied to a specific place or time.
In Europe, energy and space efficiency are central targets in all construction and renovation activities. We need researched evidence regarding the effects of energy saving requirements and increasing space efficiency on the quality of the indoor environment and the well-being of employees if we are to design and build workspaces in accordance with the principles of sustainable development, while also ensuring that they promote the well-being of employees.