For many of our students at Columbia West College, the pathway to developing their talent and achieving success includes attending an American university. We also understand that while preparing for university is exciting, it’s usually a stressful time for students, too. Plus, even if you’ve taken a lot of English language courses and feel pretty comfortable in English, you may not feel confident about what to expect and what’s expected of you at a US university.
At Columbia West College, we want to reduce the stress associated with attending a US college or university by giving you the tools and skills you need to feel confident and succeed at the university level.
We accomplish this in a few different ways. First, students are given a strong foundation of academic English language skills through our ESL classes at our Los Angeles campus. Next, after developing the necessary English language skills, university-bound students are encouraged to take the Introductory or Advanced Levels (or both) of our University Preparation program. A typical university preparation program teaches students university level academic skills, but our University Preparation program is unique and goes far beyond that. We also take the time to familiarize students with American university culture and teach the out-of-classroom skills needed for success. These include time and stress management, effective classroom interaction and study skills. We do this because we know that students need more than just strong academic skills to make a successful jump to university.
So, whether you’ve already been accepted to a university, perhaps through our University Pathway program, or are just starting the process, our University Preparation program will provide you with the foundation to succeed at your future university and beyond! Read below for more details about our University Preparation program.
INTRODUCTORY LEVEL PROGRAM
The Introductory Level of our University Preparation program prepares students to enter an American university by presenting the expectations of an American university course and developing students’ knowledge and understanding of the vital skills required to succeed at an American university.
After the successful completion of this multi-dimensional program, students will be able to do the following and more:
- Identify strategies and skills for meaningful and effective reading, vocabulary building, note-taking, and critical thinking
- Create well-developed, clearly organized academic essays and term papers
- Use effective speaking skills in class discussions and presentations
- Write a draft of a college admissions essay
- Demonstrate an understanding of techniques used in standardized tests
ADVANCED LEVEL PROGRAM
Columbia West College’s Advanced Level University Preparation program expands and builds on the skills first presented in our Introductory Program. This high level of preparation is achieved by providing each student with sophisticated and challenging learning opportunities that reflect what they would find in an American university course. The confidence students develop in their skills will help them to excel at an American university .
After completing our Advanced Level Program, students can will be able to do the following and more:
- Identify and apply reading, time-management, study and communication techniques
- Apply various critical thinking approaches to university-level course material
- Conduct independent research and report finding including academic citations
- Listen to lectures and produce clearly organized notes
- Recognize all sections of the TOEFL iBT or the IELTS and formulate effective strategies for achieving a higher score
- Upon completion of the University Preparation program, students can feel confident going into an American university with the essential skills needed to succeed.
LEARN ENGLISH FROM THE BEST ESL SCHOOL IN LOS ANGELES!
At Columbia West College, we strive to provide students with the English language skills foundation necessary to succeed through effective and personalized ESL classes. In addition, our specialized Introductory and Advanced Level University Preparation programs are sure to help you achieve a high level of excellence in your university career. If you have any questions about our University Preparation program, services, or pricing, contact us today!