What will I learn?
Land-based financing is increasingly recognised as an important way for cities to attract resources to fund their public, social and environmental goods. In this executive course we cover four main topics:
- Fundamentals on urban land markets.
To what extent do land-use planning and public works increase the value of land for profitable market-based land uses?
- Fundamentals on land and property rights and obligations.
To what extent is the exercise of land and property rights responsible for funding impact mitigation on public, social and environmental goods?
- Instruments to finance land value capture.
Which innovations exist in different parts of the world in applying land-based financing?
- Innovative strategies for land-based financing (workshop modality).
Which key skills or capacities are required to successfully implement such a strategy?
Who will benefit the most from this course?
- Local government officials, responsible for economic or social development policy.
- Planning officials responsible for development control.
- Central government finance ministries; investors and developers.
- Academics studying urban policy.
- Development banks and donor agencies.
Do I need a finance background to be eligible for this course?
How will I learn?
The course employs a wide variety of learning methods including lectures, practical exercises, case study analyses, games, films, discussions, and debates. In addition, participants will visit cities in the Netherlands that have experience with land-based financing. The course draws on lessons learned from international experiences and innovations from around the world, including from the host country.
- Sufficient command of English.
- Motivational statement.
Scholarship opportunity highlight:
This course is eligible for the Orange Knowledge Programme (OKP) funding. Candidates from eligible countries can apply for the need to submit their online applications by the 20th of September.
Want to learn more about where to apply, course dates, scholarship opportunities and more? Submit your enquiry and join us here in Rotterdam!
For more information visit www.ihs.nl
About the School
Founded in 1958, IHS is the international institute for housing and urban development of Erasmus University Rotterdam founded. For more than 60 years, it has been our mission to develop human and inst ... Read More