The Leiths Diploma is a renowned full time cookery course designed for those wishing to launch a career in food. It offers comprehensive professional training that will ensure a rounded knowledge of food and wine along with a clear sense of current industry trends and culinary styles, menu planning and budgeting.
Anyone interested in a career in the food industry. This includes:
- Working as a professional or private chef
- Opening a cafe, pub, bistro or restaurant
- Launching a catering business
- Developing food products
- Food styling
- Food writing
- Food media, marketing and PR
The Diploma can be achieved in two or three terms. The three term Diploma, starting in the Autumn, comprises of the Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced Certificates. The Diploma can also be achieved in two terms, starting in January, if you have enough knowledge of cookery, previous culinary training, or sufficient practical experience to omit the Foundation Term.
How to book:
In the first instance please email us to arrange an interview or call 020 8749 6400. Following this, to secure a place, we will require a completed enrolment form and a deposit of £2,300. If you have any queries regarding how to book the course please telephone the school.
You will be continually assessed during the practical sessions. You must also pass a theory and practical examination and complete the coursework to successfully graduate. A class teacher will give feedback and support throughout the course.
You will be expected to study at home for about 4 to 5 hours a week. This will include writing time plans, menu planning and costing exercises. This will form a final portfolio to be assessed at the end of the academic year.
You may be disqualified from taking examinations if you have not completed the required 80% of the course.
Details of our Complaints Procedure can be found here. If you have any questions about this procedure, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
By completing this course, you will gain the following qualifications:
- Leiths Diploma in Food and Wine
- CTH Level 4 Diploma in Professional Culinary Arts.
- Wine and Spirit Education Trust Level 2 Intermediate Certificate in Wines and Spirits
- Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering
- Level 2 Health and Safety in the Workplace
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health class
- First Aid training
Students completing the Leiths Diploma course are entered for the 'Best Overall Student Award' and the 'Best Wine Student Award', sponsored by Louis Latour. The prizes are generous, enjoyable and educational.
What you could do with a Leiths Diploma:
- Set up your own catering company or freelance for other caterers
- Become a food stylist and make food look beautiful for photography
- Develop dishes or products for a food producer or supermarket
- Teach others to cook
- Write recipe books
- Become a food writer
- Become a private chef for a family
- Work in food media, marketing or PR
- Become a chef and aim for a Michelin star or 3!
Leiths graduates have gone on to become chefs in the country's finest restaurants, leaders of the London food scene, celebrated TV chefs, editors and stylists at top food publications or successful food entrepreneurs.
For those considering setting up their own business, Leiths holds career seminars and offers talks on insurance, VAT, business plans, public relations, marketing, health and safety legislation and taxation.
Leiths can arrange work experience placements in restaurants, magazines and other food companies for Diploma students. Leiths List, the school's agency for chefs, can also assist students and graduates in finding work.