Period: The same course will be held in 3 editions:
- 1st edition: July 6-10, 2020
- 2nd edition: July 20-24, 2020
- 3rd edition: July 27-31, 2020
On Thursday afternoon there will be a kayak route through Cabo de Gata, and optionally a diving baptism in San José, provided there is a minimum of students who request it, upon presentation by the medical certificate student that guarantees physical fitness for diving with a compressed air bottle. The complementary diving activity increases the price of the course by € 100.
- Number of teaching hours per edition: 22.5
- Academic Coordinator: Fernando Alacid Cárceles
- Knowledge area: Body Expression Teaching
Yasin Hoşgör / Unsplash
The presence of training activities related to water sports at the Universidad de Almería is unquestionable. In the first place, due to its proximity to the sea and, secondly, due to the labor possibilities offered by this type of activities to its graduates in the province of Almería, where nautical tourism has grown significantly in recent years. In addition, the collaboration agreement in force with the Center of Nautical Activities of Almería provides unbeatable conditions for the practice of this type of sports activities; both for the quality of the facilities, and for the availability of both human and material resources for the good development of proposals for teaching water sports. One of the activities that has experienced the greatest growth in the province of Almeria is canoeing in its kayak route format. So much so, that this type of activity in the Natural Park of Cabo de Gata-Níjar has had to be limited in terms of the number of boats and paddlers per company in order to reduce the environmental impact on this natural site. For the correct development of guidance activities in the aquatic environment it is necessary to master different practical and teaching skills, as well as respect the basic safety and environmental conservation measures. Therefore, this training activity will try to deepen all these aspects, ending with the experience and analysis of this type of activities in a real context such as a kayak route in the Natural Park of Cabo de Gata-Níjar.
- Know the basics, basic terminology and characteristics of canoeing and Stand Up Paddle
- Fluently perform basic kayaking and stand up paddle navigation maneuvers
- Design programs for canoeing and Stand Up Paddle
- Analyze the conditions to be taken into account in the implementation of guided kayaking sessions
- Adopt the main measures of conservation and maintenance of the material
- Raise awareness of safety regulations
Module 1: Canoeing Skills
- Canoeing generalities
- The material in canoeing
- Maneuvers and practical skills in canoeing
Module 2: Stand Up Paddle Skills
- Stand Up Paddle Overview
- The material in Stand Up Paddle
- Maneuvers and practical skills in Stand Up Paddle
Module 3: Methodology and Security
- Basic methodology and teaching in canoeing and Stand Up Paddle
- Safety in teaching canoeing and Stand Up Paddle
Module 4: Kayak Guidance
- Kayak routes: planning, execution and evaluation
- Safety in guided kayaking activities
Module 5: Baptism of diving (optional)
- Basics of scuba diving with a compressed air bottle
- Optional activity to be done in the afternoon session after the guided kayaking route and subject to a minimum registration of participants. A medical certificate is required indicating the aptitude of the participants for diving with a compressed air bottle.
The course will deal with the acquisition of practical skills necessary for teaching canoeing and Stand Up Paddle. In addition, we will explore the use of different teaching strategies for teaching these sports, as well as the necessary safety requirements. All theoretical and practical sessions will be held at the Almería Nautical Activities Center. Finally, the preparation and implementation of a guided kayaking session in the Natural Park of Cabo de Gata-Níjar will be experienced. The course will be taught in Spanish, with the possibility of supporting English in any of the theoretical and practical sessions.
Professional Visits and Complementary Academic Activities
Visit to the company KayakSur for the development of a guided kayaking session in the Natural Park of Cabo de Gata-Níjar. Throughout it the process of a guided session will be shown from the reservation of the activity by the clients to the farewell of the same and evaluation of the process.
- 100% attendance of practical sessions.
- Test of practical mastery of the kayak and Stand A Paddle.
About the School
The University of Almería, Spain, organizes summer courses each July since 2013. They are designed by the most prestigious experts of the leading-edge fields of our University and are taught by Doctor ... Read More