Who should take this program?
If you would like to develop modern English language teaching techniques to teach English in non-English speaking countries and in U.S. classrooms, enroll in the Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Professional Certificate program. The TEFL Professional Certificate program opens doors to job opportunities both abroad and in the U.S. Learn best practices and methodology for teaching EFL students from our dynamic instructors who have years of experience teaching all over the world.
The TEFL Professional Certificate can be completed in two ways
- TEFL Professional Certificate: take 6 months of full-time TEFL classes at UC San Diego. The TEFL Professional Certificate is offered:
- Winter 2020: January 2 - June 5
- Spring 2020: March 24 - August 28
- Summer 2020: July 1 - December 11
- Fall 2020: October 6 - February 26, 2021
- Winter 2021: January 5 - June 11
- Spring 2021: March 30 - September 10
- Summer 2021: June 29 - December 10
- Fall 2021: October 12 - March 18, 2022
- TEFL Professional Certificate (Hybrid): take 3 months of full-time TEFL classes at UC San Diego during the winter or summer quarters and complete the rest of the certificate online from your home country, according to your schedule. On-campus courses for the TEFL Professional Certificate Hybrid are offered:
- Winter 2020: January 2 - February 28
- Summer 2020: July 1 - August 28
- Winter 2021: January 5 - March 19
- Summer 2021: June 29 - September 10
What this program includes
- Advanced Analysis of English Sentence Structure I (3 units)
- Best Methods in Teaching Listening Skills (3 units)*
- Best Methods in Teaching Pronunciation and Fluency (3 units)
- Best Methods in Teaching Speaking Skills (3 units)
- Teaching Writing for Academic and Professional Purposes (3 units)*
- Theories and Methods of Language Teaching and Learning (3 units)*
- Theory and Methods of Reading Instruction (3 units)*
In addition, we offer a variety of one-unit workshops and three-unit elective courses. You will need to choose 3 units of electives, depending on what is offered each quarter. Some examples are:
- TEFL Practicum: Best Methods in Developing and Delivering Lesson Plans (3 units) -strongly recommended
- Advanced Analysis of English Sentence Structure II (3 units)
- Games for the EFL Classroom (1 unit)
- Grammar and Editing I or II (3 units)
- Music in the EFL Classroom (1 unit)
- Oral Presentations for Language Teachers (3 units)
- Teaching Language Through Art (1 unit)
- Teaching TOEFL Prep Classes: Paper and Internet (1 unit)
Courses marked with an asterisk (*) are available online as part of the TEFL Professional Certificate (Hybrid). Enroll in the four required online classes on the main Extension web page here. You can then join the online classes from your home country, according to your schedule.
You will find below the minimum requirements for acceptance to this program. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the TEFL Certificate program will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement:
You must have one of the following test scores to participate in the 6-month and Hybrid formats of the TEFL Professional Certificate:
- TOEFL paper-based: 525
- TOEFL iBT: 69
- TOEIC: 690
- IELTS: 5.5
- Cambridge Advanced or Proficiency Exams: Pass
- CEFR: B2
- GTEC CBT: 1126
- EIKEN: Pre-1
- PTE: 47
- Recommendation letter from UC San Diego ELI advisor for prospective students who excelled in ELI courses and programs (in place of obtaining an official language proficiency score)
Additional Admission Requirements:
- Copy of your transcripts in English for the two most recent years of academic studies.
- A one-page statement explaining why you would like to take any TEFL Certificate program.
- Monday – Thursday, occasional Saturdays
- Afternoon and evening courses; no morning courses
- Schedule varies
All classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable).
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended).
- 2020 6-month TEFL Tuition: $8,300.
- 2020 TEFL Hybrid Tuition (excluding online courses): $4,750.
- TEFL Hybrid online Tuition: $395 per class.
- 2020 International Student Service Fee: $380 per quarter.
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $585 per quarter.
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter. (Payment cannot be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.).
Discount on the 6-month, Intensive, and Hybrid formats
If you transfer directly from an 8-week UC San Diego English Language Institute ESL program or UC San Diego English Language Institute TEFL program, you will receive a $500 discount on your tuition for the six-month TEFL Professional Certificate or the TEFL Professional Certificate (Intensive). If you transfer directly from a UC San Diego English Language Institute 8-week ESL program or UC San Diego English Language Institute TEFL program to the TEFL Professional Certificate program (Hybrid), you will receive a $250 discount on the tuition of the TEFL Professional Certificate program (Hybrid Format).
"My favorite part of studying in UC San Diego Extension’s TEFL program is that it consists of not only international students but also local students. All the students I met in this program were really motivated and respectful to others. I have discussed tons of different topics with them, which has given me new insight into what education should be like as well as a broader view of life. I was really lucky to choose this program because of this point.The “TEFL Practicum” class has been my most enjoyable experience so far. We created lesson plans each week and gave mini lessons to the other members of a small group. We gave feedback to each other and shared wonderful ideas. I felt great joy in accomplishing my goal at the end of this class. I miss the class members a lot because we shared a strong bond."
Mari Takeuchi, Japan
About the School
UC San Diego Extension International Programs provides instruction of the highest quality, in which people can learn to their full potential. Quality academics, combined with our superb campus facilit ... Read More