Hundreds of North Iowa Area Community College graduates transfer to four-year colleges and universities every year. Whether you want to become a teacher, lawyer, engineer, physician, artist or (you name it!), we can get you started. And if you’re unsure about a major, NIACC is a great place to get your feet wet. NIACC offers the first two years toward a bachelor’s degree in virtually any field. The Associate Degree earned provides you with the general education requirements and core courses needed to continue your education as a junior at a four-year school.
Sample Schedule (2-year plan) First Semester
- ENG-105 Composition I 3 s.h.
- MAT-110* Math for Liberal Arts 3 s.h.
- EDU-216 Intro to Teaching 3 s.h.
- EDU-219 Field Exper. & Seminar 1 s.h.
- PSY-111 Introduction to Psychology 3 s.h.
- SDV-113 Strategies for Academic Success 2 s.h.
- SDV-199 College Essentials 1 s.h.
Total 16 s.h. Second Semester
- ENG-106 Composition II 3 s.h.
- PSY-121 Developmental Psych OR
- PSY-223 Child/Adolescent Psych 3 s.h.
- Art OR Music OR Theatre 3 s.h.
- BIO-152 Health and Nutrition 3 s.h.
- SOC-110 Introduction to Sociology 3 s.h.
- PEH-140 First Aid 1 s.h.
Total 16 s.h. Third Semester
- EDU-235 Children’s Literature 3 s.h.
- EDU-250 Educ. Tech. & Design 3 s.h.
- History OR Literature OR Philosophy 3 s.h.
- PSY-281 Educational Psychology 3 s.h.
- PHS-125 Physical Science & lab 4 s.h.
- PHS-142 Principles of Astronomy 3 s.h.
Total 19 s.h. Fourth Semester
- EDU-246 Including Diverse Learners 3 s.h.
- EDU-242 Classroom Assessment 2 s.h.
- POL-111 American National Gov 3 s.h.
- SOC 115 Social Problems 3 s.h.
- BIO-102 Introductory Biology 3 s.h.
- SPC-112 Public Speaking 3 s.h.
Total 17 s.h. *– Required math ACT/Compass scores needed before enrolling in any math class. See NIACC catalog for a list of General Education and elective courses. Note: Please check with transfer institution for their specific requirements or check with a NIACC counselor/advisor for further transfer planning.
- The Iowa Department of Education is requiring changes to the Teacher Education programs throughout Iowa. Contact transfer institution for specific details.
- AA Degree meets the General Education Requirements for the College of Liberal Arts at most transfer institutions.
- Check with transfer institution for Foreign Language Requirement and/or Cultural Diversity and/or Non-Western Culture Requirement.
- Admission requirements vary from institution to institution. Contact the transfer institution or check with a NIACC counselor/advisor for assistance.
- Suggested schedule dependent on the entry level of a student.
- If planning to transfer, follow requirements for Elementary Education program of study.
Suggested General Education Courses & Electives:
- RDG-125 College Reading Strategies
- HIS-151 or HIS-152 History
- SDV-113 Strategies for Academic Success
- ART-102 Art for Elementary Education
- FLS Foreign Language
- POL-121 International Relations