– 80 contact hours of classroom instruction, training, and feedback with our highly qualified and experienced teacher trainers. This exceeds the instructional hours recommended by TESOL, the leading worldwide professional organization for ESL professionals, because you spend 100% of your time in the classroom either training or teaching.
– 5 hours of live, classroom observation of our Intensive English courses, taught by Lumos’s experienced, professional teachers, as opposed to 1 or 2 hours of prerecorded sessions. – 10 hours minimum of practice teaching with your own class. You will not share your teaching time with another teacher or be a teaching assistant.
– Guided lesson plan creation. One key to a successful ESL classroom is having an effective lesson plan. With help from your trainers, learn the components of effective lesson plans.
– Individualized trainer observation and feedback of your practice teaching classes. Feedback sessions will be customized to your individual teaching needs. During consultations with your professional trainer, you will learn how to refine your teaching and have the opportunity to gain insightful and useful teaching tips from his or her many years of experience.
Classes run Monday through Friday morning, from 9 am to 1 pm. Practice teaching begins the second week and is scheduled from the afternoons to the early evenings two or three days a week. Typically students take advantage of Lumos’s resources for lesson and studying in the afternoon.
TESL / TEFL Certificate Program Content:
Classes are conducted in a forum style that allows students to develop a personal teaching philosophy, share ideas and learn from their instructors in a communicative and collaborative environment. Participation is key to success in the program.
In this course you will learn and practice:
– Teaching, Learning, and Language Aquisition Theories – How to teach Grammar, Vocabulary, Speaking, Pronunciation, Listening, Reading and Writing – Classroom Management and Lesson Planning – How to make your classes learner centered and your teaching engaging – Effective Error Correction and Assessment
ESL Teaching Practice:
Your practice teaching will be guided and supervised by your trainers. You will apply what you are learning in your instructional classes directly in your own classes. Our guided curriculum gives you a structure to work from and allows you the flexibility to adapt your lessons to your teaching goals and to your students’ needs. Trainers will observe your classes and provide you with feedback that you can use to adapt your teaching and immediately apply to your lessons.
Students who complete Lumos’s TESL/TEFL course will graduate with a Lumos TESL certificate, a TEFL certificate, and an EPT certificate issued by Brigham Young University.
- 4-WEEK TESOL COURSE 25 HOURS/WEEK
- APPLICATION FEE
- ACCESS TO LABORATORY AND RECORDING LAB
- ONLINE TEFL RESOURCES
- 18 years of age
- TOEFL Score – 80
- TOEIC – 800
- EPT – 63
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 6, 2017