NOTICE: The program will be activated in distance learning mode.
Although cognitive science has become a topic of public debate, fundamental questions remain about its relationship with the mind and, in turn, about the relationship of the mind with the brain. If we accept the functionalist computational metaphor, the details of the mental processes underlying biology become irrelevant. The same happens with the problem of subjectivity: though the subjective experience is at the center of the human being, its study must be abandoned in order to adapt to computationalism. Secondly, despite the fact that billions of euros are invested, neuroscience does not progress as quickly as expected.
Students are invited to an alternative approach based on dynamic systems, which eventually finds a comprehensive formalism in quantum field theory. Actually, the question of the relations between quantum mechanics and the theory of mind requires specific attention, as well as the AI.
At the end of the Summer School, students should:
- Know the basic arguments in the philosophy of mind from Plato through Descartes, Berkeley, Hume, Kant, Levine and such popular putative contributions as that of Chalmers.
- Acquire sensitivity to the distinction between Cognition and Consciousness.
- Acquire basic knowledge about the main techniques for brain and neural activity investigation.
- Understand the limits of the approach to the study of Consciousness based on computational cognitivism.
- Acquire a basic comprehension of the impact of Quantum Physics in the Science of Consciousness.
- Acquire basic knowledge on alternative paradigms to the dominant one in neuroscience which tends to exclude subjective experience as an object of scientific analysis.
Who can apply
Graduate Students and Scholars interested in multidisciplinary studies concerning the new Science of Consciousness, psychologists and psychotherapists.
Geralt / Pixabay
Graduation in any discipline
- Identity Document (*passport in case you are a foreign student*)
- Enrolment Form
- Curriculum Vitae
All the documents must be in pdf format, in order to upload them on the portal when required.
30 August - 4 September 2020
10 July 2020
Prof. Bruni Neri firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Sara Andrenucci email@example.com
About the School
The University of Pisa is a public institution boasting twenty departments, with high level research centres in the sectors of agriculture, astrophysics, computer science, engineering, medicine and ve ... Read More