European University Of Rome
Summer School “On the Footstep of Jesus. History and Archaeology”
Jerusalem and Magdala July 6-12, 2019
The program will develop in an international advanced research context directly on-site, in the most important historical places related to Jesus and the Gospels in Jerusalem and Galilee.
Through lectures, meetings with researchers, scholars and archaeologists, the participants will be introduced to the roots of Christianity and to the heart of the relation between Judaism and Christianism from a historical point of view.
Workshops, forums and visits to museums and archaeological excavations are also scheduled, as living experiences of study and involvement in a discovering work in progress.
Lessons, meetings and webinars are in English; an Italian or Spanish translation can also be provided.
- Overview of basic methodological problems of history and archaeology in the Bible Lands.
- Introduction to the Gospels from a historical perspective.
- Introduction to the history of Jerusalem and to its specific symbolic and religious plural identity.
- Involvement in the discussion on archaeological and cultural heritage enhancement, the museum set up and visit organizations.
- Introduction to archaeological methods and problems.
- Updating knowledge and theories about the origins of Christianity.
The Summer Schools Program Consists of:
6 online conferences (12 hours) - June 10-20:
- Jesus in history: the Gospels and other written sources
- Historical and archaeological problems and methods
- Jerusalem at the time of Jesus
- Jerusalem in the Gospels
- Christian memorial places
- History, memory and devotion: the Christian pilgrimage.
Individual activities (8 hours): written reports, maps, bibliographical researches, story telling]
Visits and meetings (30 hours): Jerusalem Old City from the Ramparts walks and the Citadel; the Holy Sepulchre; the Via Dolorosa and the Terra Sancta Museum; the Temple Mount and its excavations; Israel Museum and Rockefeller Museum.
Archaeological workshop in Magdala (12 hours).
- Welcome cocktail at Notre Dame Jerusalem Centre
- Introduction to the Course (Salvarani, Solana, Kelly)
- Landscape and topography of Jerusalem – Living lesson from the top of the Notre Dame Jerusalem Centre (Steiner)
- Jerusalem Old City from the Ramparts walks and the Citadel (Salvarani)
- The Citadel Museum – Meeting with the Director and the research staff
- The Temple Mount and its excavations (Hebrew University/Israel Antiquity Authority)
- Ophel and Davidic Jerusalem
- The Holy Sepulchre area (including Muristan, Alexandr Nevskij church excavations, Redeemer church and bell tower) (Salvarani)
- Via Dolorosa and Terrasancta Museum (meeting with project leader Giovanni Tortelli)
- Rockefeller Museum (meeting with the Director and restorers team )
- Interreligious forum
- Jesus by Jew a Christian points of view (to define)
- Israel Museum (meeting with the research staff)
- Mount of Olives (in cooperation with Israel Antiquity Authority)
- The Sion (in cooperation with the Hebrew University)
- The Cenacle
Registration Fee – Euro 950
- The registration fee includes all the academic activities (classes, lessons, tutoring, final examinations, registration).
- Bed and breakfast at Notre Dame of Jerusalem in a double or triple room are also included (seven nights).
- The price does not include meals, flights, personal transfer and everything not expressly indicated.
- Deadline for registration: May 31, 2020
Info and Contacts:
- Professor Renata SalvaraniFull Professor of History of Christianity
- European University of Rome
- Via Degli Aldobrandeschi 190 - 00163 Roma
- Phone +39 347 2409363
To organize and book flights and transfer you can contact Brevivet, an Italian leader tour operator for cultural and religious tourism.
- Patrizia Mora email@example.com – Tel.+39 30 2895328
- Flavio Cavagnini –firstname.lastname@example.org – Tel.+39 30 2895362
- email@example.com – www.brevivet.it
About the School
An international University based upon great human values, engaged in leading future professionals. A great choice for ethical and cultural education. The European University of Rome (EUR) is a privat ... Read More