Summer Law and English (SLE)
USC Gould's Summer Law and English (SLE) is a four-week program that strengthens your English speaking and writing proficiency while helping you build a foundation for future legal studies in the United States.
This summer's program will run from July 15 - August 9, 2019.
SLE is designed for international:
- Corporate legal counsel
- Business professionals
- Government officials
- Law students, particularly those who have earned or will soon earn their first law degree (LLB or equivalent) and are interested in pursuing legal studies in the U.S.
- Anyone interested in the U.S. legal system who has earned a non-law undergraduate degree outside the United States
All levels of English fluency are welcome. There are no exams or grades.
SLE Class Schedule
SLE runs for four weeks, from mid-July to mid-August each year. Classes are held from 9 a.m.— 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Special activities take place on various weekdays.
Experienced USC Gould adjunct faculty and prominent business and legal professionals present engaging lectures and interactive sessions on many different legal topics.
If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must obtain an F-1 visa to attend SLE. USC Gould will supply participants with I-20 forms, the United States Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, which is required for an F-1 student visa application.
You may not attend SLE on a B1/B2 visitor/tourist visa.
Tuition for the Summer Law and English is $3,900 plus a $300 university fee for a total of $4,200. This is in addition to your $100 SLE application fee.
SLE and university fees cover:
- Law and legal English instruction
- Course materials
- Health insurance, immunization screening, and treatment
- Use of the USC Student Health Center with USC faculty physicians
- Weekly special activities
- Access to campus facilities, including banking, computer, dining, libraries, medical and recreation
- Student services, including academic counseling, a USC ID card, orientation, and closing ceremony
- Expedited processing of student visa I-20 form
- Express mail of admission documents
If you are admitted to SLE, payment is due by June 1 in order to reserve your space. All SLE fees are nonrefundable (unless your visa is denied).