Study Hi-Tech Law in the Startup Nation
To be a successful business lawyer nowadays, one must gain a deep understanding of the global hi-tech sector and its unique characteristics. There is a constantly growing demand for lawyers who master legal theory as well as practical legal know-how tailored to the needs of hi-tech, clean-tech, AI (artificial intelligence) and similar industries.
The Hi-Tech Law Summer School at the Striks School of Law offers you just that, at the most appropriate location - Israel. Known as the “StartUp nation” Israel was recently ranked fifth most innovative country in the world by Bloomberg.com, surpassing Singapore, Sweden, the US and Japan.
Israel has more patents, start-ups and R&D centres (of Google, Intel, Oracle, IBM, Sandisk, SAP among many others) per capita than almost any other country. It is the place to see Hi-Tech innovation and its legal apparatus in action.
Waze? Israel. Mobileye? Israel. Wix? Israel. Amdocs? Checkpoint? Comverse? M-Systems (disk-on-key)? Outbrain? Viber? Yes, all from Israel.
The Hi-Tech Law Summer School
The two-week summer school offers you a unique blend of legal theory and legal and business practice :
- 30 in-class hours dedicated to the most up-to-date legal questions facing hi-tech companies and their counsels.
- 15 in-class hours presenting participants with the personal experiences of lawyers, entrepreneurs and businesspersons involved in some of the world's major M&A deals, “Mega-exits” and investment successes and failures.
- 15 hours of professional tours to some of today’s and tomorrow’s tech entrepreneurial successes.
- From Nano-firm to Global Giant: Legal Financial and Governance Aspects of High Tech Ventures /Dr Ido Baum
- Government, Citizens and the Technologies Between Them /Dr Eldar Haber
- Law, Technology and Innovation in Israel /Dr Sharon Bar-Ziv
The Striks Law School at the College of Management
Israel’s first private law school is located in the vibrant campus of The College of Management, the country’s largest private college, in the city of Rishon-le-Zion, 15 minutes south of Tel-Aviv.
The school prides itself in a curriculum that combines the highest academic standards with practical components second to none in Israel. Its students partake in externships in companies such as Teva, El-Al, Ness technologies and Deloitte, and public institutions such as the Knesset (Israeli Parliament) and the State Comptroller.
Our alumni include Members of Parliament, Judges, Partners in top-rated law firms in Israel and the US, legal advisers to Israel's many successful hi-tech companies and senior public officials.
It’s going to be LOTS of fun
Participants will be staying in Tel Aviv, Israel's nonstop metropolis, world renowned for its nightlife, fantastic beaches and diverse cultural scene. Tel Aviv caters to everyone's taste and wishes. Yours too.
You will be hosted in Abraham Hostel, ranked no.1 of Tel-Aviv’s more than 100 speciality lodgings by Tripadvisor. The daily shuttle will take you to the College campus and back to Tel-Aviv to enjoy its exciting evenings (and nights, program permit).
Optional excursions to see Israel’s world-class touristic sites will bring you to Jerusalem, the Dead Sea, and Massada.
- Dates: July 7-19, 2019
- Location: Rishon le-Zion and Tel-Aviv, Israel
- Credits: 4 ECTS
- Cost: $ 2,350 (see below for what’s included (a lot!)).
- Early bird registration: $ 2,100 up to April 2, 2019.
- Who: Law students and practitioners from around the world and others with interest in hi-tech law.
- Breakfast and Lunch
- Daily transportation to and from the college
- Professional tours
- Social program
Participants attending all classes and turning in papers will receive a graduation certificate.
Program taught in: