Our Summer Diplomatic Academy is a unique and intensive practical training program that introduces undergraduate and graduate students and recent graduates to careers in international diplomacy. It covers the fundamentals of diplomatic practice and focuses on real-life aspects of work in governments, embassies and consulates, international organizations and global NGOs. The material emphasizes a skills-based and experiential-learning approach and is generally not offered at colleges and universities. The program also includes career-counseling sessions.
The course is taught by career ambassadors and other professional diplomats who have served in dozens of countries over several decades. They provide insight into policy-making and implementation, diplomatic protocol, the functions and management of embassies and consulates, diplomatic reporting and writing, negotiation and mediation, political and economic tradecraft, public diplomacy and cross-cultural communication and other skills and competencies.
- The National and International Diplomacy Systems
- The Interagency Foreign-Policy Process
- Diplomatic Protocol and Immunities
- Managing a Diplomatic Mission
- Exercise: Competing Mission Priorities
- Political Tradecraft
- Diplomatic Advocacy and Lobbying
- Diplomatic Reporting and Writing
- Exercise: Writing Diplomatic Cables
- Diplomatic Communication: How to Talk and Listen Like a Diplomat
- Exercise: Delivering a Diplomatic Démarche
- Economic Tradecraft
- Environmental and Science Diplomacy
- Commercial Diplomacy
- Consular Affairs
- Crisis-Management Abroad
- Career-Counseling Session
- The Diplomacy-Defense-Intelligence Axis
- Public Diplomacy: Media Relations and Cultural Affairs
- Exercise: Media Interviews
- Public Speaking in a Diplomacy Context
- Cross-Cultural Communication
- Diplomatic Negotiation and Mediation
- Exercise: Diplomatic Negotiation
- Cyber Diplomacy
- Multilateral Diplomacy
*The agenda is subject to change as needed.
Undergraduate and graduate students, recent graduates and early-career professionals are eligible to apply to the Summer Diplomatic Academy. Previous coursework in political science, international relations or related fields is highly desirable, but not required.
Applications must include a completed application form and a CV or résumé. A cover letter or personal statement, explaining how the academy will help you achieve your career goals (up to 500 words), is strongly encouraged but not required. The deadline to apply is March 31, 2020.
There is a $55 application fee. Once we receive your application, we will send you an electronic invoice, which you can pay with a debit or credit card. The application fee must be paid before your application is reviewed by the Selection Committee. If you are accepted and enroll in the program, the full fee will be deducted from your tuition cost.
Both U.S. and foreign citizens may apply. Fluency in English is required. International applicants who are not already in the United States will be responsible for obtaining their own U.S. entry visas on the basis of our admission letter. Candidates from visa-waiver countries need an electronic visa (ESTA), which can be obtained online.
About the School
The Washington International Diplomatic Academy (WIDA) is an independent educational institution dedicated to strengthening global diplomacy by providing the highest-quality training, executive educat ... Read More