Leadership and Gender Equality in the 21st century
- Bifröst University Iceland
- June 29 - July 20
It is a well-known fact that women are underrepresented in top tier role e.g., in business, politics and academia, fields that thereby forego a vast resource of leadership potential. Lack of diversity in terms of gender, race, religion and other aspects is, therefore, an ocean of lost opportunities and a general loss in terms of economic growth and general societal welfare. The core of this course revolves around leadership and leadership theories in the context of gender.
In the international political debate, Iceland is considered an excellent example of success in terms of gender equality, often considered as the ‘equality’s paradise’ and will be particularly discussed in comparison with other countries and parts of the world. Research has demonstrated that companies and institutions who are inclusive in terms of leadership and governance are outperforming others that do not demonstrate the same diversity. Furthermore, there is a correlation between gender equality and the level of societal welfare.
The aim of this course is to raise general awareness of the gender gap and bias women face when climbing the corporate ladder and provide participants with effective tools to deal with and change a gender-biased organizational culture; how to eliminate the glass ceiling, prevent women from getting lost / exhausted in the corporate labyrinth and stop them from disappearing through the leaky, gendered pipelines. Work-life balance will also be put in the forefront (how to create a family-friendly company culture) and the importance of formal and informal networking.
This program will take place from June 29 to July 20, 2019. On June 29th, an orientation session given by the Program Coordinator will introduce the participants to the program and the campus. The welcome dinner will take place on the evening of June 29th.
The University organizes a bus pick-up from Reykjavik to Bifröst on June 28th at 18:00 so participants are advised to book their flight tickets for arrival in Iceland on June 27th or 28th.
Participants are advised to book their flight ticket from Iceland after 14:00 on July 20th. The airport shuttle will arrive at the airport around 12:00 on July 20th.
- Enhance your Influence: a guide to public speaking
- Understanding and Overcoming Imposter Syndrome
- Corporate Culture and Networking
- The Corporate Reality of Gender Equality
- Creative Thinking
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Marketing and Digital Communication
- Business Planning
- Leadership Theories and the Leadership Journey
- Female Leadership
- Leadership Development and Leading Teams
- The Nordic Leadership Model
- Servant Leadership
Applicants have to be at least 18 years old and must have an educational background equivalent to one year at a university before the beginning of the program.
In case of cancellation/no-show, the university refunds 90% of the paid amount, due to administration and currency risk.
- Redefining the Rules of Power and the Role of the Leader: 1 July - 19 July, 3.500 €
- Seminars, accommodation, trips and full meals are included
- The trips include Volcanoes, caves, waterfalls, natural springs, birdwatching, hiking, midnight sun, a boat trip, Golden Circle trip and trips to the scenes of famous movies.
- Students from our partner universities get 25% discount.
- The Early-bird discount of 10% is available if applied by February 1st and paid by March 1st, 2019.
- Groups of 5 students or more get 10% discount.
- The maximum discount a single student can get is 25%.
- The application deadline is June 1st, 2019.
Program taught in: