Wellesley's immersive summer program, designed for intellectually curious high school girls.
Spend your summer experiencing college life first-hand. Wellesley College invites rising high school junior and senior girls to join us this summer for a unique, immersive college experience—The Wellesley Pre-College Immersive Program. For four weeks, students will have the opportunity to become members of the Wellesley community, taking college level courses, earning full college credit and exploring the great city of Boston. Students will also enjoy academic, social, and intellectual opportunities that cannot be found in a high school program.
The Immersive Experience
- Rigorous coursework in an intimate setting, with highly motivated peers and Wellesley's renowned faculty
- Life-changing opportunity to cultivate close connections with similar-minded women from all around the world
- Exposure to undergraduate residential life at a world-class liberal arts and sciences institution
- Wellesley campus' 500 acres of rolling hills and woodland, award-winning architecture, and the renowned beauty of Lake Waban in the summertime
- Classes, residential life, and planned outings to Boston and Cambridge that encourage a holistic summer experience for personal growth
At a Glance
- Program Length: 4 Weeks
- Eligibility: Rising high school juniors and seniors by June 2019, between 15-18 years old, in good academic standing. International students requiring immigration support accepted
- Courses: One Writing Course and One Elective Course in one of the following areas: Arts, Classical Civilization, English, Mathematics, Psychology, Sociology, Theatre Studies, Women’s and Gender Studies
- Credits: Elective courses are graded; writing courses are non-credit.
- Residential Hall: Historic Wellesley Residential Hall, Stone-Davis
- Total Program Fee: $5,600 (Tuition) + $3,200 (Room, Board, and Activities) = $8,800
A Typical Week Day
- 8 AM: Breakfast in the Dining Hall
- 9 AM: Morning Class
- 12 AM: Lunch in the Dining Hall
- 2 PM: Afternoon Class
- 5 PM - 6 PM: Free Time (homework, trip to The Vil)
- 6 PM: Dinner
- 7 PM: Residential Life Staff Planned Program
- 8 PM: Free Time
- 10 PM: Curfew
The Pre-College Immersive Program consists of two intensive college courses.
In the Immersive Pre-College Program, students challenge themselves in Wellesley's renowned academic environment by taking two intensive college courses. Over four weeks, students will take a writing course and elective of their choosing. Students are required to take a writing course because the ability to write and express oneself concisely is paramount for all future college students. Students also choose an elective course which they have an interest in or hope to improve their skills in.
In taking a required writing course and elective, immersive program students will work with full-time Wellesley professors and learn with a small, motivated group of peers. Though pre-college students will face the rigor of Wellesley's academic environment, they will have access to dedicated faculty and trained student Teachers' Assistants.
2019 Writing Course Options (subject to change)
- Studies In Memoir
- The Selfie in American Life
- Alternative Worlds, American Dreams
- Wellesley and the World
2019 Elective Course Options (subject to change)
- Photo I: Introduction to Photography
- Classical Mythology
- The Art of Screenwriting
- Calculus I
- Philosophy of Art
- Introduction to Psychology
- The Sociological Perspective: Introduction to Sociology
- Can We Have an Argument? Understanding, Employing, and Delivering Effective Rhetoric
- Introduction to Women's and Gender Studies
- Imaginative Leadership: Women’s Cultural Expressions in Latin America
- World Politics
PLEASE NOTE: Registration in the Wellesley College Pre-College Program is not linked in any way to admission to Wellesley College for degree purposes. Any eligible student wishing admission to Wellesley College should request application materials from the Admissions Office.
Pre-College students who live on campus during the summer have an opportunity to experience the residential life unique to Wellesley College. The residential halls foster a sense of community for their members and serve as a focal point for both informal and planned activities. Students in residence have access to the summer facilities and campus activities.
Pre-College students will engage in regular group social activities and outing trips on and off campus. Optional weekend and evening activities may include movie nights, local activities, local college visits and trips to Boston & Cambridge and the beach. All planned activities fees are covered in the residential fee. Previous activities have included: The Museum of Fine Arts and Museum of Science, The Freedom Trail, Fourth of July fireworks celebration and popular tourist attractions, including Quincy Market, Boston’s North End, and Fenway Park. Note: Offsite activites pertain to Pre-College Immersive Program.
Program taught in: