Rabat is one of Morocco’s “imperial cities,” and its modern capital. It is home to the leading educational institutions in the country and offers students opportunities to move from the shops and cafes of the “European” city to the winding alleys and exciting markets of the old “medina” in a few minutes’ walk. The AMIDEAST Education Abroad Program in Rabat offers a Summer Intensive Arabic Program that focuses on Modern Standard Arabic at the beginning, intermediate and advanced levels. Students in the program live with Arabic-speaking Moroccan families and attend classes at AMIDEAST’s facilities in the bustling Agdal area of the city.
The program offers two 4-week sessions, allowing a student to move through two levels in one summer. The curriculum is based on AMIDEAST’s Arabic Language and Culture Curriculum, which is functional and communicative in its approach. The teachers are carefully selected native speakers with excellent language teaching experience and skills.
The Summer Intensive Arabic Program offers Modern Standard Arabic in two 4-week sessions. Classes meet 5 hours per day, 5 days per week. Each session therefore includes 100 hours of instruction in Modern Standard Arabic (5 credits) and colloquial Arabic (1 credit) for 6 total credits. One summer session covers the material usually presented in one semester on a U.S. campus.
All students enroll in Modern Standard Arabic and in colloquial Arabic at a level appropriate to their proficiency. MSA meets for 4 hours a day and colloquial Arabic for 1 hour a day. Students are given placement tests on arrival and placed in the level appropriate for their Arabic language proficiency.
The Summer Intensive Arabic Program in Rabat, Morocco offers Modern Standard Arabic in two 4-week sessions.
Classes meet 5 hours per day, 5 days per week. Each student will receive 80 hours of instruction in Modern Standard Arabic in each session, covering the material usually covered in one semester on a U.S. campus. In addition, students receive 20 hours of instruction per session in Moroccan Arabic.
Modern Standard Arabic
- Modern Standard Arabic I (Arabic 101; 5 credits)*
- Modern Standard Arabic II (Arabic 102; 5 credits)
- Modern Standard Arabic III (Arabic 201; 5 credits)
- Modern Standard Arabic IV (Arabic 202; 5 credits)
- Modern Standard Arabic V (Arabic 301; 5 credits)
- Modern Standard Arabic VI (Arabic 302; 5 credits)
- Directed Studies in Arabic (Arabic 401; 5 credits)
Summer Colloquial Moroccan Arabic
- Summer Colloquial Moroccan Arabic IA (Arabic 110; 1 credit; co-requisites: ARAB 101, 102)
- Summer Colloquial Moroccan Arabic IB (Arabic 140; 1 credit; co-requisites: ARAB 201, 202, 301, 302, 401)
- Summer Colloquial Moroccan Arabic IIA (Arabic 210; 1 credit; co-requisites: ARAB 102, 201)
- Summer Colloquial Moroccan Arabic IIB (Arabic 240; 1 credit; co-requisites: ARAB 202, 301, 302, 401)
- Summer Colloquial Moroccan Arabic III (Arabic 310; 1 credit; co-requisites: ARAB 201, 202, 301, 302, 401)
Colloquial Arabic Progression Table:
AMIDEAST host countries each have their own unique history and regional characteristics that influence our programs. AMIDEAST seeks to embrace these aspects and ensure an enriching experience abroad by promoting language acquisition, intercultural learning, cultural immersion, and focusing on the safety and security of our students.
AMIDEAST Programs Components include:
- Content Courses: On semester programs, students choose 2-4 Area Studies courses taught in either English or French (depending on the program) from a wide range of disciplines.
- Excursions: Included in the program fee, program-organized excursions provide students a way to experience the Arab World first-hand, taking them places they might not otherwise be able to go.
- Housing and Meals: Housing and most meals are included as part of the program fee. Homestay options are available in all locations, with some alternative choices available as well.
- Intercultural Learning: AMIDEAST Education Abroad Programs are structured to include opportunities for students to develop their intercultural competence. Cultural dialogue sessions, language partners, and reflection periods are some of the offerings AMIDEAST provides to help students deepen intercultural understanding.
- Language Acquisition: Modern Standard Arabic, Colloquial Arabic, and Media Arabic are offered at multiple levels. Students are paired with local students as part of the Language partner Program in order to improve their conversation Arabic.
- Student Support: Students receive extensive support by means of pre-departure planning, in-country orientation, program-provided health insurance, assistance with the visa process, and staff support.
- Study Environment: Courses are taught in a U.S. format by local faculty. They are held in AMIDEAST’s local facilities with other students on the program.
Cost & Fees
2017 Tuition and Fees1
|Tuition & fees||$4,300|
|Room & board||$1,100|
|Tuition & fees||$7,900|
|Room & board||$2,200|
Estimated Personal Expenses:
Tuition and fees include:
- Pre-departure preparation
- All courses
- All-inclusive on-site orientation
- Housing and meals with an Arabic-speaking Moroccan host family
- One program-organized excursion per session
- Medical insurance, including medical evacuation and repatriation, and political and natural disaster evacuation coverage (students are covered for the duration of the program)
- AMIDEAST Grade Report
- Program supplied mobile phone for use in Morocco (usage charges not included)
Tuition and Fees do NOT cover:
- International airfare
- Local personal transportation
- Communication and other personal expenses
- Some meals
- Insurance for student travel prior to or following the official dates of the program
- Medical expenses (including visits to doctors, medical tests, and medications). AMIDEAST recommends students have direct access (e.g. via a debit card or cash) to at least $300 to pay for any necessary medical expenses while abroad. Should a student expect to see medical professional(s) for on-going physical or mental health issues while abroad, he/she may want to consider bringing more than $300 for this purpose. Information outlining insurance coverage and the reimbursement process is provided on the AMIDEAST Student Portal after acceptance.
At AMIDEAST Education Abroad Programs in the Arab World, we are committed to providing financial assistance to students participating on our programs in the Middle East and North Africa.
About the School
dtykstkyAMIDEAST is a leading American non-profit organization engaged in international education, training and development activities in the Middle East and North Africa. Today AMIDEAST programs and ... Read More