Students enrolled in AMIDEAST’s Education Abroad Program study Arabic with some of the most respected language teachers in the region: those from the Qasid Arabic Institute. Intensive coursework, combined with daily interactions with host families, helps students at all levels and to increase their Arabic proficiency in a short period of time. In addition to academics, our students benefit from an on-site orientation, a truly knowledgeable Jordanian staff, an opportunity to become part of a Jordanian family, and organized excursions to mind-blowing locations such as the great deserts and Biblical sites in Jordan. During each of the two summer sessions AMIDEAST organizes a one day trip to different parts of the country. The excursions will either be to Jerash and Ajloun or to Madaba and the Dead Sea. Because each summer session includes a different trip, those students participating in multiple sessions will have the opportunity to visit both sites.
The Summer Intensive Arabic Program offers Modern Standard Arabic in two 4-week sessions. Classes meet 5 hours per day, 5 days per week. Each session therefore includes 100 hours of instruction in Modern Standard Arabic (5 credits) and colloquial Arabic (1 credit) for 6 total credits. One summer session covers the material usually presented in one semester on a U.S. campus. All students enroll in Modern Standard Arabic and in colloquial Arabic at a level appropriate to their proficiency. MSA meets for 4 hours a day and colloquial Arabic for 1 hour a day. Students are placed into appropriate Modern Standard Arabic and Colloquial Arabic levels based on an Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and written Arabic exam conducted prior to their departure.
The Summer Intensive Arabic Program in Amman, Jordan offers Modern Standard Arabic in two 4-week sessions. Classes meet 5 hours per day, 5 days per week. Each student will receive 80 hours of instruction in Modern Standard Arabic in each session, covering the material usually covered in one semester on a U.S. campus. In addition, students receive 20 hours of instruction per session in Jordanian Arabic. Modern Standard Arabic
- Modern Standard Arabic I (Arabic 101; 5 credits)*
- Modern Standard Arabic II (Arabic 102; 5 credits)
- Modern Standard Arabic III (Arabic 201; 5 credits)
- Modern Standard Arabic IV (Arabic 202; 5 credits)
- Modern Standard Arabic V (Arabic 301; 5 credits)
- Modern Standard Arabic VI (Arabic 302; 5 credits)
- Directed Studies in Arabic (Arabic 401; 5 credits)
Colloquial Jordanian Arabic
- Summer Colloquial Jordanian Arabic IA (Arabic 130; 1 credit; co-requisites: ARAB 101, 102)
- Summer Colloquial Jordanian Arabic IB (Arabic 170; 1 credit; co-requisites: ARAB 201, 202)
- Summer Colloquial Jordanian Arabic IC (Arabic 180; 1 credit; co-requisites: ARAB 301, 302, 401)
- Summer Colloquial Jordanian Arabic IIA (Arabic 230; 1 credit; co-requisites: ARAB 102, 201)
- Summer Colloquial Jordanian Arabic IIB (Arabic 270; 1 credit; co-requisites: ARAB 202, 301, 302, 401)
- Summer Colloquial Jordanian Arabic III (Arabic 330; 1 credit; co-requisites: ARAB 201, 202, 301, 302, 401)
Colloquial Arabic Progression Table:
Partner Institution – Qasid Arabic Institute
The Qasid Arabic Institute is the partner for AMIDEAST’s Education Abroad Program in Amman. The Qasid Arabic Institute has developed a reputation as one of the leading programs in the Middle East for Arabic language learning. Its comprehensive curriculum begins with the proper pronunciation of Arabic letters and continues through to a high degree of proficiency. The word qasid is used to describe a path that is direct and smooth. This is the way the Qasid Institute believes the Arabic language should be taught. The term qasid is also used to describe an individual who strives forward with a direct, specific intention, and clearly defines the kind of student that Qasid attracts to its programs. As the Qasid Arabic Institute's reputation has grown, its programs have made it the program of choice in Amman for embassies, international organizations, non-governmental organizations and U.S. colleges and universities seeking excellence in Arabic language instruction. Though its programs are designed mainly for university-level students and busy professionals, Qasid students range in age from 15 to 65. They include embassy and consular officers, Fulbright researchers, full-time mothers, medical doctors, Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship recipients, and Ivy League graduates.
AMIDEAST host countries each have their own unique history and regional characteristics that influence our programs. AMIDEAST seeks to embrace these aspects and ensure an enriching experience abroad by promoting language acquisition, intercultural learning, cultural immersion, and focusing on the safety and security of our students. AMIDEAST Programs Components include:
- Content Courses: On semester programs, students choose 2-4 Area Studies courses taught in either English or French (depending on the program) from a wide range of disciplines.
- Excursions: Included in the program fee, program-organized excursions provide students a way to experience the Arab World first-hand, taking them places they might not otherwise be able to go.
- Housing and Meals: Housing and most meals are included as part of the program fee. Homestay options are available in all locations, with some alternative choices available as well.
- Intercultural Learning: AMIDEAST Education Abroad Programs are structured to include opportunities for students to develop their intercultural competence. Cultural dialogue sessions, language partners, and reflection periods are some of the offerings AMIDEAST provides to help students deepen intercultural understanding.
- Language Acquisition: Modern Standard Arabic, Colloquial Arabic, and Media Arabic are offered at multiple levels. Students are paired with local students as part of the Language partner Program in order to improve their conversation Arabic.
- Student Support: Students receive extensive support by means of pre-departure planning, in-country orientation, program-provided health insurance, assistance with the visa process, and staff support.
- Study Environment: Courses are taught in a U.S. format by local faculty. They are held in AMIDEAST’s local facilities with other students on the program.
Cost & Fees
$700 discount for students who participate in two sessions 2017 Tuition and Fees1
Estimated Personal Expenses: 1Tuition and fees are subject to change. 2As reflected in this total, students who participate in two sessions received a $700 discount.. 3International airfare will vary depending on departure city. Tuition and fees include:
- Pre-departure preparation
- All courses
- All-inclusive on-site orientation
- Housing and meals with an Arabic-speaking Jordanian host family
- One program-organized excursion per session
- Medical insurance, including medical evacuation and repatriation, and political and natural disaster evacuation coverage (students are covered for the duration of the program)
- AMIDEAST Grade Report
- Program supplied mobile phone for use in Jordan (usage charges not included)
Tuition and Fees do NOT cover:
- International airfare
- Local personal transportation
- Communication and other personal expenses
- Some meals
- Insurance for student travel prior to or following the official dates of the program
- Medical expenses (including visits to doctors, medical tests, and medications). AMIDEAST recommends students have direct access (e.g. via a debit card or cash) to at least $300 to pay for any necessary medical expenses while abroad. Should a student expect to see medical professional(s) for on-going physical or mental health issues while abroad, he/she may want to consider bringing more than $300 for this purpose. Information outlining insurance coverage and the reimbursement process is provided on the AMIDEAST Student Portal after acceptance.
At AMIDEAST Education Abroad Programs in the Arab World, we are committed to providing financial assistance to students participating on our programs in the Middle East and North Africa.
|One Session||Two Sessions|
|Tuition & fees||$4,300||$7,900|
|Room & board||$1,100||$2,200|
|One Session||Two Sessions|
About the School
dtykstkyAMIDEAST is a leading American non-profit organization engaged in international education, training and development activities in the Middle East and North Africa. Today AMIDEAST programs and ... Read More