Due to the situation surrounding Covid-19, we are currently looking into alternative options for teaching our programme this year. Full details will be announced soon, but in the meantime please get in touch with any questions you may have.
The Global Diplomacy Summer School course will be a unique offering to the summer school environment by placing our students at the centre of the course to provide a panoptical view of diplomacy in the 21st Century. Bringing together cutting-edge research in the broad fields of Diplomatic and International Studies, and award-winning blended pedagogic delivery, the course will address a range of relevant issues such as Gender, Human Rights and the role of International Organisations.
The course also offers students with study skills to develop and enhance their practice in communication and negotiation in a professional setting, while engaging directly with practitioners. In this the course takes advantage of London’s positioning as hub of Diplomatic activity so students can engage with practicing diplomats and their institutions.
Whatever your circumstances in taking this course you will benefit from increasing your exposure to leading research in diplomatic practice, and the experience of learning with others through our innovative approach to learning about diplomacy.
On successful completion of the course, a student should be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the nature and development of global diplomacy, drawing on a variety of relevant contributing disciplines in the broad field of International Studies.
- Grasp of changes in diplomatic practices and procedures and the relationship of those changes to contemporary politics.
- Have a grounding in both theoretical and empirical approaches to debates in diplomacy so that students have been exposed to the skills needed to analyse global diplomacy.
- Demonstrate knowledge of how issues concerning issues in global diplomacy in historical and contemporary contexts.
This course is worth 15 credits in the UK system. 15 credits is equivalent to 4 credits in the US system and 7.5 ECTS in the European system. If you intend to transfer credit to your home institution, please check the requirements with them before you apply. We will be happy to assist you in any way we can, however please be aware that the decision to transfer credit rests with your home institution.
Teaching & Learning
50 hours (lectures, tutorials, activities). The course will be delivered Monday - Friday over the 3 weeks.
Monday - Friday 10am-3pm. In addition to regular lectures and tutorials, each course is composed of a range of activities relating to their academic content (e.g. museum visit, company visit etc).
Fees and Funding
- Credit-assessed: £1,750
- Non-assessed: £1,600
A one-off, non-refundable application fee of £40 will be charged to cover administration costs. Please visit the SOAS online store to make your application fee payment.
- 10% early-bird discount when you apply by 31 March
- 15% discount for SOAS Alumni (including Academic Summer School alumni)
- 20% discount for our partner institutions
- Other discounts are available for groups. Please contact us for further information.
For more information, please visit our website.
In order to join our Summer School, you will need to meet the following entry requirements:
- A university student or a graduate at the time of attending the summer school, and 18+ years of age.
- Professional experience can be acknowledged as equivalent to a university qualification.
- A minimum English language requirement if English is not your first language:
- IELTS, 6.5 overall or higher, with at least 6 in all subscores.
- TOEFL Paper-based test we require a minimum of 583 with minimum 53 in all skills and for TOEFL Internet Based Test we require a minimum of 93 with minimum 20 in all skills.
- Pearson Test of English a score of 59-64
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) Grade B
- If you have studied in an English speaking institution, or have courses taught at your university in English (excluding English language courses), you may meet our requirements without having to supply a certificate. Evidence of this will either need to be included on a transcript or letter from your university.
- Applicants with an alternative qualification should contact us for advice.
- Applicants whose English language level do not meet out requirements may be interested in our subject-based courses with English language support.
Enrolment of Summer School applicants who don’t meet the entry requirements is at the discretion of SOAS – please get in touch to speak to us in detail about your application.
Once you have paid the £40 application fee and submitted the online application form, you will be informed as to whether you have a place on the summer school within 5 working days. Please do not pay your tuition fee prior to having received your offer letter.
25th May 2020
About the School
SOAS University of London welcomes the brightest minds to study on its central London campus with like-minded individuals who feel passionately about contemporary world issues.