Study abroad - University & Professional Studies
University of California - San Diego
For strong academic students who would like to take a full-time schedule of credit-bearing courses at UC San Diego or UC San Diego Extension while studying alongside American university students.
The minimum requirements to be accepted into this program are listed below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the University and Professional Studies (UPS) program will have a successful experience.
Prospective students must have one of the following scores to participate in this program:
• TOEFL internet-based: 90
• IELTS: 7.0
• Cambridge Proficiency or Advanced Exams: Pass
• CEFR (level C1)
• Copy of transcripts in English for the two most recent years of academic studies. Transcripts must clearly indicate excellent academic achievement.
• List of 12-15 courses per quarter, organized by quarter, that you would like to take at UC San Diego or UC San Diego Extension.
• A one-page statement explaining your reasons for choosing UC San Diego for your study abroad experience.
• Once admitted into the program, students must maintain above-average final grades in all coursework ("B" or better).
• January 3 - March 24
• March 26 - June 15
• June 21- September 8
• September 19 - December 15
• September 2, 2011
• November 18, 2011
• February 24, 2012
• April 13, 2012
Length of Program
• 11-13 weeks
• Schedule varies depending on classes chosen
What this program includes
In fall, winter, and spring quarters, UPS students can take a full-time program (12-units) consisting of UC San Diego and/or UC San Diego Extension courses in any combination. The following are some of the departments and courses that previous UPS students have enrolled in:
• Electrical Engineering
• Economics (Note: It is extremely difficult to enroll in classes in our prestigious Department of Economics. Students are strongly advised to attend courses outside of this department during the first two weeks of each quarter in order to ensure their finalized full-time enrollment status while they are awaiting the decision of the Department of Economics regarding available space for non-matriculated students.)
• Aerospace Engineering
• Mechanical Engineering
• Computer Science
• Molecular Biology
• Stem Cell Biology
• Business (upper-division undergraduate courses through the Rady School of Business Management. Visiting students are not permitted to enroll in the graduate-level business courses.)
• Political Science
• Visual Arts
• Organic Chemistry
• General Chemistry
• Academic Writing
• Spanish for Communication
• and many more
Enrollment in all classes is on a space-available basis and requires instructor and/or departmental approval.
Note: UC San Diego Extension courses in Business, Leadership and Management, and Law are not permitted for enrollment through UPS.
Cost (In U.S. Dollars)
- Application fee: $200 (non-refundable)
- 2012 Tuition: $6,800
- Books/Materials: $200-500 per quarter
- 2012 International Student Services Fee: $350
This school offers programs in: