The Study Year concept has been designed to cater for the specific needs of long-term students.
It is ideal if you want to become proficient in English and/or want to study or live in an English-speaking country.
The programme is tailor-made for those students who need extra support, both in and beyond the classroom, in reaching their English language goals.
Why choose Study Year?
For students who aim to study at a university or college in an English-speaking country, Study Year is designed to help them to reach the right level of English. We also offer related support: we assist students with applications for further study and help them to register and prepare for the English qualifications they need (e.g. IELTS).
Study Year (SY) students receive free additional support, which is not offered to short-term students. They are closely monitored through regular meetings and tutorials with their SY advisor. Workshops and remedial teaching are provided on a regular basis. A SY advisor is available at each school to ensure that SY students have easy access to their services.
You can meet with the Study-Year Advisor in the afternoon at no extra charge for any of the following:
- Progress meetings: discuss progress and keep motivated.
- Academic support: get extra help with grammar, language skills or even handwriting.
- Get assistance with writing letters or applications to universities or other institutions.
- SAQA (South African Qualifications Authority) assistance: a necessary requirement for any students studying further at South African universities.
- Study programme counselling for your time at Good Hope Studies, or for your university plans.
- Tutorials on areas of interest to Study Year students.
Study Year students also receive social support: They are encouraged to engage with the SY blog and to participate in social activities, such as theatre trips, dinners, a cinema club, ten pin bowling, and hiking.
Study Year Packages
The needs of Study Year students can best be met by booking a Study Year package. Typically, this starts with General English (either mornings or full day). Many Study Year students plan to study at an English university, and for these students we would recommend an English for Academic Purposes course, followed by an IELTS or TOEFL course. We find that exam preparation courses help to keep Study Year students motivated once their English is at a high enough level.
The most suitable Study Year package depends on your budget, needs and length of stay. Our registrar can advise you on the best possible Study Year package.
Study Year students enjoy a number of advantages:
- The course fees are reduced by up to 30%.
- You do not pay an administration fee when changing to another course.
- You can change between group courses at the beginning of each cycle for a minimum of four weeks.
- You receive university and college placement free of charge.
- You can take a break from your studies. After 12 weeks of study, you can take either one break of four weeks or two breaks of two weeks each. Certain conditions apply.
- If you choose, you can upgrade to an exam preparation course once your level is high enough. Additional course fees may apply.
This course is provided at 7 levels - Beginner (A1) to Proficiency (C2)