Spanish Studies in the City of Don Quixote
Live and study in a UNESCO World Heritage Site at Instituto Franklin-Universidad de Alcalá while obtaining university credits.
Instituto Franklin-Universidad de Alcalá has more than 30 years of experience working with international programs and students. There are so many attractive programs in Spain, but not many have the privilege and honor to be considered a UNESCO World Heritage Site, not just the city, but also the university.
Alcalá de Henares was the first city to be designed and built solely as the seat of a university and was to serve as the model for other centers of learning in Europe and the Americas. This is the medieval city of Cervantes and Don Quijote, where you can see our storks flying, have some of the best tapas, and be surrounded by history.
- Eligibility: Adults over 18 years old and must be a university student. Students must be in good academic standing.
- Levels: All levels. Applicants who wish to study courses in Spanish must have completed 3 semesters of Spanish at their home university or have an intermediate level of Spanish.
- Placement Test: Day one
- Course Materials: Not included in the price
- Certificate: At the end of the course, students receive an academic report listing the coursework completed and grades achieved.
- Dates: Fall Semester: September to December // Spring Semester: January to May // Summer: June or July// J-Term: Month of January
- Passport/Visa Requirements: Passports must be valid until at least one month after the completion date of the program. International students in a full semester program must get a student visa.
There are so many attractive programs in Spain, but not many have the privilege and honor to be considered a UNESCO World Heritage Site, not just the city, but also the university. Alcalá de Henares was the first city to be designed and built solely as the seat of a university and was to serve as the model for other centers of learning in Europe and the Americas.
This is the medieval city of Cervantes and Don Quijote, where you can see our storks flying around, have some of the best tapas, and be surrounded by history.
We are a gem that is only 30 minutes from the center of Madrid and 20 minutes away from the airport (our students love this). But we are a city of community and family, once you go to a cafe twice, the waiters have already memorized your order the next time you walk in. Alcalá has a buzzing international presence but still maintains its Castilian charm.
What You'll Study
In our Study Abroad Program, we offer opportunities that will help students grow professionally and personally. We offer internships, service learning, student teaching, and volunteering opportunities, as well as language content courses based on Hispanic Studies, Business, International Relations, Translation and Interpretation, Health Studies, and Education.
The student may choose 4 courses for a fixed price, all with university credits.
At each level, general, specific, and focused courses are available in order to meet the different needs of students.
At Instituto Franklin-Universidad de Alcalá, students will be studying and living in our historic center. Students will be surrounded by the beauty and history of our city and university. Alcalá has Roman ruins, medieval churches, monasteries, convents, museums, and great tapas bars.
We want you to feel at home in Alcalá so we do everything we can to help you integrate into life in the city. From an informational orientation to cultural activities, our job is to make sure you have the most authentic study abroad experience possible. We even offer tours of Madrid, excursions to Segovia, Toledo, and other site visits.
The Study Abroad in Spain program offers an ample diversity of areas of study suited to every student. Our program includes courses in Spanish Studies, International Relations, Business Administration and International Business, Translation, Education, Journalism and Communication and Health Sciences.
In addition to all these disciplines, students can participate in a unique Internship Program and spend a full semester working in a company of their choice.
Students will take 12 credits/4 courses per full semester program. Students may earn 6-12 credits in the Summer Programs. Courses are offered in both Spanish and English.
This is a list of planned course offerings. A final list of course offerings will be made available on the website.
- Intermediate Spanish
- Advanced Spanish
- Traditions in Spain: Oral Communication
- Phonetics and Oral Spanish
- Cervantes: The Adventures of Don Quixote
- Introduction to Spanish Literature: The Masterpieces
- Introduction to Latin American Literature
- Introduction to Literary Analysis
- Composition and Conversation: Introduction to Reading
- Contemporary Spanish Literature
- Spanish Culture and Civilization
- The Andalusian Legacy
- Contemporary Spain through Films
- Masterpieces of Spanish Literature through Films
- History of Spanish Painting: The Great Painters
- Spanish Art: Theory and Practice.
- Volunteering as Social Immersion
- The Global Dimension of European Soccer
- Spain and its gastronomy
- Introduction to Spain
- Spanish for Business Professionals
- Analysis of Economic Relations between Spain and the US
- International Marketing
- International Business: Communication and Culture
- Introduction to Tourism: Destination Spain
- Intercultural Communication
- Understanding Europe: Present and Future of the European Union
- Translation and Interpretation in a Bilingual Context
- Medical Translation
Education/ Service Learning:
- Service Learning in a Bilingual Context
- The Spanish Education System: An Immersion Experience
- Principles of Bilingual Education
- Teaching Methods
Journalism & Communication:
- Composition and Conversation: Spain through the Media
- Intercultural Communication
- Spanish for Healthcare Professionals
- Medical Translation
Interning abroad as part of your study abroad experience will help distinguish your application for graduate school or a job opportunity in todayâs competitive market. Instituto Franklin-UAH vets each internship site and students may choose the best fit of them. Our students are interning at local businesses and organizations, as well as some placements in the city of Madrid. We want our students to be engaged with Alcalá and serve the community where they study.
Participating in an internship abroad helps you:
- Add international experience to your résumé
- Gain real work experience and skills
- Improve your Spanish competency
- Build your confidence
All of our internships are supervised and students earn university credits. You participate in a seminar to complement the practical experience you gain during the internship.
Field Trips & Events
Students will have a minimum of 4 excursions included in their program, with no extra costs. Here are a few possible destinations.
- Alcalá De Henares Walking Tour
- Madrid Walking Tour
- El Escorial
- Reina Sofia Museum
- El Prado Museum
At Instituto Franklin-UAH, we pride ourselves on offering ample student support services. In the first week of the program, students will have a comprehensive orientation that introduces Instituto Franklin-UAH staff, fellow students, safety, housing, insurance and the cities of Alcalá de Henares and Madrid.
Students may choose to stay in Homestays or the Residence Hall.
- Homestays- Live in Spanish homes with families. Students will have 3 meals per day for 7 days, as well as once a week laundry service.
- Residence Hall- Live with other international and Spanish students from the Universidad de Alcalá. Students will have 3 meals per day for 7 days. Students will not have a free laundry service. The residence hall has an array of activities prepared for students during their stay.
Consider these prices as a starting point. We encourage you to contact your study abroad office to determine the actual cost to you when factoring in financial aid, scholarships, your home school policies, and other factors. Please note that the cost is for the 2019 fiscal year, 2020 cost will be updated in January 2020.
- Fall/Spring Semester 2019 - 7960 euros
- Summer 2019- 4 weeks - 3020 euros
- Summer 2019- 8 weeks - 5134 euros
- J-Term - 2000 euros
- Additional 3 credit course - 500 euros
- Internship fee for the "Spanish for Healthcare Professionals" course - 150 euros
- Tuition (4 courses per semester, 2 per month in summer and 1 course during the January program)
- Universidad de Alcalá credits
- Homestays in families in Alcalá (three meals a day) or university dorms (meal plan)*
- Orientation Sessions
- University services
- Health Insurance
- Student card
- Cultural trips
- Airport pickup (on scheduled dates).
Scholarships & Aid
Please note that discounts may not be combined
- Students who register in our Fall program before April 30 will receive a discount of 500 euros.
- Students who register in our Spring program before October 15 will receive a discount of 500 euros.
- Students who register in our eight-week summer program and stay at the dorms will receive a 10% discount.
Students attending HACU affiliated institutions
- Students attending institutions affiliated to HACU will receive a 5% discount in any semester program.
- Students attending institutions affiliated to HACU and stay in dorms will receive a 5% discount in the four weeks July program.
Franklin Alumni Recognition
- Any returning student will receive a 5% discount in any semester program.
- Any returning student who stays in dorms will receive a 5% discount in the four weeks July program.
- This award will also apply to Franklin alumni friends and family.
- If you come to study at Instituto Franklin-UAH, and you want to bring a friend along, we can make it more affordable for both of you by offering you a 15% discount in any semester
Instituto Franklin-UAH is located in the historic center of Alcala de Henares. We are located in the historic building of Trinitarios which was built in the 17th century by the Order of Trinitarios Descalzos Order. In 1839, it became the property of the Spanish armed forces and became an artillery barracks. In 1994, the Universidad de Alcalá recovered the building and restored it to suit their current academic activities.
- High-speed wireless internet and printer access
- A student lounge and garden
- A library, classrooms, and offices
- Student cafe
- Research library and special collections
- Wheel-chair accessible
About the School
The Instituto Franklin de la Universidad de Alcalá is the only University Institute for Research on North America in Spain. Founded in 1987, its activity focuses on postgraduate research and education ... Read More