In the U.K., accents change noticeably on average every 25 miles! Which accent will you take on during your exchange?
- 384 - YFU Financial Aid Fund
September 2, 1999 - August 31, 2002.
Students who do not meet these age requirements will not be considered for admission to the program.
- Language: English
- Host Family Placement: Students should keep in mind that they could be placed with non-traditional families, meaning they can be placed with any kind of family to include single-parent homes with no children and double placements.
- School: School is in session from September to July, with a summer holiday in between academic years.
As a YFU student in the United Kingdom, you’ll live with a local host family and attend a local high school. Host families in the UK are given financial compensation to help cover the costs of having an extra family member. Part of your experience overseas will be:
School: Students will attend a local private Sixth Form School. Sixth Form is the equivalent of high school in the US and helps prepare students for college. The sixth form consists of two years, with AS exams after the first year and A-level exams after the second. Students select 3 or 4 subjects of their choice, depending on availability, and will also take a more general subject, like critical thinking or extended project qualification. The academic expectations placed on students in the UK are high, so be prepared to study hard!
- Placement with a host family
- Enrollment in a local Sixth Form School
- Airport transfers
- Domestic and international travel
- All pre-departure and post-arrival orientations
- Pre-program support by trained YFU staff
- Support from a YFU Area Representative while on program
- Comprehensive insurance
Program tuition does not include personal spending money.
Orientations: All students applying for the semester or year program must be available for a mandatory 3-day National Pre-Departure Orientation, which usually takes place in mid-July. This orientation is a required part of the program aimed at preparing students for their experience overseas. All students will participate in a one-day local pre-departure orientation in May or June. All orientation costs are included in program tuition.
Application Deadlines: The application deadline for all winter and spring departure programs (January-March) is October 1. The deadline to apply for scholarships is December 1. The deadline for all summer or fall departure programs (June-September) is March 15. Programs can fill up before the deadline, so we encourage early submission!
About the School
YFU’s distinctive brand of cultural exchange opens minds and hearts, enables learning that transforms lives, and ultimately helps to make us citizens of one world. While it is true that all travel bro ... Read More