The Spanish as a Foreign Language Program at Universidad EAFIT in Medellin is a comprehensive program for Spanish language acquisition, allowing students to develop their language communication skills effectively. As recognition of its quality, this is the first Spanish as a Foreign Language Program in Colombia to be certified by the Spanish Instituto Cervantes. The six levels of proficiency described by the Common European Framework (A1 to C1) are distributed into 15 courses, each lasting 38 hours. In order to optimize learning and classroom interaction, each group only consists of 3-8 students.
The learning experience is ensured through:
- Classes that are taught based on effective and proper communication in small groups with highly qualified teachers
- A conversation partner in order to access a more colloquial level of Spanish
- The possibility to attend classes in the University's undergraduate programs. This opportunity gives students access to the language at an academic level; classes are subject to University scheduling
- Cultural activities offered daily throughout the campus for greater language immersion
The Language Center methodology follows the communicative approach guidelines. The teaching processes aim at participatory and interactive learning in an environment where culture is integrated into the development of the four skills - listening, speaking, reading and writing – considering accuracy and relevance. According to these guidelines, the acquisition of a second language is promoted when:
- There is interaction with the teacher and among students using the language that is being taught
- Materials and activities are as authentic as possible
- Emphasis is placed both on meaning and form (structure)
- Students are taught to use learning strategies
- Students are taught to be independent
- Students have enough time to practice and process information
- Students are exposed to a wide variety of activities, teaching techniques, and language structures
- Students' individual differences are acknowledged
Courses and levels
Distribution of courses and levels according to the Common European Framework of Reference
- A1: Courses 1 and 2
- A2: Courses 3, 4 and 5
- B1: Courses 6, 7 and 8
- B2: Courses 9, 10 and 11
- C1: Advanced grammar, Written communication, Language, and Culture, Business Spanish
DELE preparatory courses are also offered on demand.
38-hour course, 4 weeks
MONDAY TO FRIDAY
9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. or 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
38-hour course, 2 weeks
MONDAY TO FRIDAY
9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. or 2:00 p.m.- 6:00 p.m.
Program taught in: