The Sonoma State American Language Institute (SSALI) offers students the opportunity to improve their English quickly in a supportive, family-like environment on the Sonoma State University campus located in beautiful northern California.
Why Choose SSALI?
- Strong academic program and university skills preparation
- Discounts for qualified students!
- University Pathway options
- Conditional Admission
- Enrollment in university classes for qualified students
- TOEFL waiver for study at Sonoma State University and Santa Rosa Junior College
- Professional, well-educated faculty
- Class sizes of 8-15 students
- Diverse student population
- Service learning and volunteering opportunities
- Organized social activities with Sonoma State University students
- Safe, friendly environment
Hundreds of students join SSALI every year to achieve their dream of improving their English skills for academic, job-related, or conversational purposes. We look forward to welcoming you to beautiful Sonoma State University
Sonoma State American Language Institute (SSALI), located in scenic Northern California on the campus of California State University Sonoma, is the perfect program for those desiring challenging classes taught in a supportive and family-like environment. Since 1979, SSALI has been providing intensive instruction to students, professionals and others who need to learn English quickly to meet academic, job-related and social needs.
The campus is located in the modern, comfortable community of Rohnert Park (pop. 43,000), near the rural beauty of the world-famous Wine Country and only one hour’s drive from exciting San Francisco. The spectacular Pacific coast, impressive redwood forests, numerous parks, and several golf courses are only minutes from campus. The area enjoys a mild Mediterranean type climate — daytime temperatures range from 27oC in summer to 12oC in winter.
The academic program is a professionally designed curriculum for students from high beginning to advanced levels of English proficiency.
- Students receive instruction in grammar, composition, oral communication, reading, and vocabulary.
- Class size averages 12-15 students. Students get a lot of individual attention.
- Up-to-date textbooks and multi-media materials are used for instruction.
- Classroom instruction is enriched and supplemented with contact assignments and field trips.
- Students can select from a variety of special elective classes such as iBT TOEFL Preparation, American Culture & Conversation, Idioms and Slang, Pronunciation, Listening, English through Music and Vocabulary.
Our University Pathways program has Conditional Admission http://web.sonoma.edu/exed/ssali/conditional-admission.html if you are seeking admission to an undergraduate or graduate degree program at Sonoma State University, but do not have the required English proficiency score (Undergraduate- iBT 61, or IELTS 6.0 or Graduate- iBT 80 or 6.5 IELTS), you can meet the English proficiency requirement by studying with the Sonoma State American Language Institute (SSALI) program.
How to Apply
- Submit the SSALI Online Application and indicate that you are requesting conditional admission
- Pay the $125 non-refundable SSALI Application Fee (payable online via the SSALI Online Application)
- Submit proof of high school graduation and copies of official transcripts in English
- Submit a copy of the biographical page of your passport
- Submit An original official income statement or original bank statement verifying availability of funds, minimum $10,600 per semester
Email scanned copies of the documents listed above to email@example.com or mail the documents to the address below:
Sonoma State American Language Institute
1801 East Cotati Avenue
Rohnert Park, CA 94928-3609 USA
Your documents will be evaluated by the International Admissions Specialist at SSU. If you qualify in terms of your academic eligibility, SSU will offer you Conditional Admission. At that time you will be sent:
- I-20: The remarks on the I-20 will state, "Student has been granted conditional admission to Sonoma State University (SSU) for [MAJOR] and will be eligible for full admission to the university upon obtaining required English proficiency." This indication, along with the other documents, should be sufficient for requesting a Student (F-1) visa.
- Letter of Conditional Admission: This letter states that you will be eligible for academic study at SSU when you complete the SSALI program or obtain the required English proficiency test score for undergraduate admission (TOEFL PBT 500, TOEFL iBT 61, or IELTS 6.0).
Graduate programs require higher English proficiency scores (TOEFL iBT 80 or IELTS 6.5) and may have additional requirements for admission. Conditional Admission is only available for undergraduate programs at Sonoma State University, with the exception of the MS in Computer and Engineering Science, and MBA programs.