This two-year program prepares its learners to design, develop and test business application software using various leading programming languages. Graduates will be proficient in HTML, C#, Java, PHP, ASP.NET, and SQL along with various supporting technologies in networking, database development, documentation, and system analysis and design. Graduates will be prepared to support the software development needs of businesses in a wide variety of industries. Training blends general education development with required IT technical skills. All courses are offered in an in-person format and some are also offered online for additional flexibility.
A graduate of this program will have the potential for employment in the following areas: Programmer: Create, modify, and test the code, forms, and script that allow computer applications to run. Work from specifications drawn up by software developers or other individuals. May assist software developers by analyzing user needs and designing software solutions. May develop and write computer programs to store, locate, and retrieve specific documents, data, and information. Software Developer: Develop, create, and modify general computer applications software or specialized utility programs. Analyze user needs and develop software solutions. Design software or customize software for client use with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency. May analyze and design databases within an application area, working individually or coordinating database development as part of a team. May supervise computer programmers. With additional education and/or work experience, graduates may find other opportunities for employment. - Systems Analyst - Database Administrator - Software Architect - Software Consultant/Trainer - Industry Certifications such as, Microsoft Specialist Programming C#, Microsoft Technology Associate, Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 7 Programmer
Requirements for Program Entry
- Completed application.
- High school transcript or equivalent.
- One year of high school algebra completed.
- Ability to use computer keyboard and mouse.
- 10-105-101 Career Planning
- 10-152-140 IT:Program:Logic-Intro
- 10-152-173 IT:Program:Part 1 (C#)
- 10-152-185 Website Coding
- 10-154-125 IT:Web:Database Development
- 10-801-136 English Composition 1
- 10-804-133 Math & Logic
- 10-890-101 College 101
- 10-152-174 IT:Program:Part 2 (C#)
- 10-152-184 IT:Web:Programming-SQL
- 10-801-196 Oral/Interpersonal Comm
- 10-801-197 Technical Reporting
- 10-809-199 Psychology Of Human Relations
- 10-105-103 Career Preparation1
- 10-152-141 IT:Program:Part 3 (Java)
- 10-152-150 IT:Program:Systems Analy/Des
- 10-152-151 IT:Program:SQL-Advanced
- 10-152-153 IT:Program:Team Software Dev
- 10-809-166 Intro to Ethics: Theory & App OR
- 10-809-103 Think Critically & Creatively
- 10-107-195 IT:Training
- 10-152-142 IT:Program:Part 4 (Java)
- 10-152-154 IT:Program:Mobile Apps Dev
- 10-152-183 IT:Web:Scripting-ASP.Net
- 10-152-199 IT:Software:Career Experience
- 10-809-172 Intro to Diversity Studies
- Develop logical problem solving skills that incorporate critical thinking, technical manuals, web resources, and programming utilities.
- Develop software applications that employ object-oriented principles and techniques using the C# and Java programming languages
- Develop and deploy user-friendly mobile applications.
- Design a normalized database and develop entity relationships.
- Develop relational database applications using database management software to code SQL statements and queries.
- Develop technical documentation to support the use of software applications.
- Plan and conduct computer training sessions using appropriate training materials, assessment tools, technologies, and delivery methods.
- Communicate effectively and work collaboratively within a software development team.
- Incorporate best practices of the Agile software development methodology.
- Perform entry-level systems analysis and design work to solve business problems.
- Participate in the System Development Life Cycle tasks of an information system from an initial request through implementation using both traditional and object-oriented methodologies.
Study Abroad Opportunities
The International Studies staff continually seeks opportunities for students to travel abroad for educational experiences that may be offered in association with program courses. To find out more about which of your program courses may offer an opportunity during the year contact your academic advisor.