Who are we?
Novosibirsk State University is located at the heart of Akademgorodok, a world-famous research center of the Russian Academy of Sciences. It was founded in the 1960s in the Siberian taiga as the birth place for new ideas and technologies. Now it's a world-class research and educational cluster with 35 research institutes, innovative Technopark and the University at the heart of this well-balanced system.
The main areas of training and research:
Elementary particle physics, Photonics and Quantum Optics, Research of the Arctic, Cancer Therapy Innovation, Chemistry, Materials and Technologies, Genomic Technologies, Biomarkers and Social Behavior, Archeology, Computer Science, Economics and Sociology
NSU in world rankings
- #2 QS University Rankings: Emerging Europe and Central Asia
- #20 QS University Rankings: BRICS
- #107 QS University Rankings: Natural Sciences
- #190 Google Scholar Citations
- #250 QS University Rankings
- TOP 500 The Academic Ranking of World Universities
- TOP 50 QS University Rankings: Physics and Astronomy
- TOP 150 QS University Rankings: Archaeology, Chemical Engineering, Mathematics
Where are we located?
Situated in the center of Russia, Novosibirsk is the third largest city in Russia with a population of over 2 million people. It's a place of contrasts: on the one hand it is a fast-growing and modern city where famous theatres, international companies and research institutes are located, on the other hand one finds spectacular views of wild nature for kilometers around.
Why is our summer school a great choice for you?
- The right step for your future: NSU Summer School offers opportunities: both to better understand Russia and to improve your academic excellence
- Unforgettable summer experience: See for yourself the limitless Russia and enjoy the atmosphere of contrasts - Siberian hot summer and the snowy peaks of the Altai Mountains
- Capital of Siberia without the capital's living costs: According to the QS experts, Novosibirsk State University is the second best university in Russia. However the costs of studying and costs of living here are substantially lower than those in Moscow or St. Petersburg
- Learn the language of Pushkin and Dostoevsky: Besides the chosen courses any student can attend Russian language and culture courses
About the course
The course is aimed at establishing a new area of study, based on a comparative analysis of Western and Eastern cultural patterns. The study of inter-cultural dynamics will be anchored within the framework of ancient and modern cultural history covering a vast area both geographically and temporally, from the Western World to the Far East.
Participating students will be able to reexamine such typical stereotypes, as the "civilizational approach", the concept of a "clash of civilizations", etc., and – through specific topics – will be able to appreciate the complexity of cultural identity in the past and present.
The course will consist of a series of lectures and workshops that will introduce participants to x various interdisciplinary subjects, including the following:
- 1- Navigation and trade of ideas between East and West
- 2- Time and temporality
- 3- Tastes differ: aesthetic preferences in cultural prospective
- 4- The concept of law and justice in transition
- 5- The idea of the past in Western and Eastern societies
- Picnic at the seashore of the Ob Sea: Enjoy a Russian style barbecue
- Orientation tour of Akademgorodok: The largest science center in Siberia
- City tour: Including a backstage visit to the Novosibirsk Opera and Ballet Theatre
- Excursion to the Funeral Museum: The first and the only one in Russia
- Day trip to Tomsk: A Siberian city with a rich historical heritage
- Excursion to the Novosibirsk Zoo: The largest zoo in Russia
- Tour to the Institute of Nuclear Physics: An authentic Soviet research organization with underground laboratories and one of the first particle accelerators in the World
- The level of the course is introductory and suitable for undergraduate students
- The course is recommended for students interested in philosophy, religion, history and culture
- Students involved in studies of contemporary cultural change and interactions might be interested in the course
- Good command of English is required
Skills and knowledge students will gain
- The course will introduce participants to a new area of study and research
- Acquire new culturological, philosophical, philological and historiographic skills
- Acquire methods and approaches useful for your future studies
At the end of the course students will write an essayon a subject selected with the help of advisors. A certificate of completion will be awardedto the participants who fulfill all the requirements.
- February 1: Application Start
- April 24: Application Deadline
- June 1: Payment Deadline
- August 1: Program Start
Application Fee: For all universities €45
Who may apply?
- All students who are currently enrolled at college or university level institutions
- Sufficient English proficiency
Program Fee: For all universities €450
- Tuition fee
- Study materials
- Cultural activities
- Field trips
Travel, insurance, meals and personal daily expenses should be paid individually
Dormitory Fee: For all universities €35-70 Shared Room Per Course
New dormitories are located within 3 minute walk from the University. Students live in block-type dormitories, a block is composed of one or two rooms, plus a bathroom equipped with a shower and a toilet. Single or double room accommodation is available. A furnished kitchen and a leisure room are located on each floor.
Program taught in: