Semester Program in Diamond Studies (30 ECTS)
The Sakha Republic (Yakutia) is the largest subject of the Russian Federation, unique in its environment and territory. Yakutian diamond province is the largest in Russia, it accounts for 90% of reserves, 95% of production in Russia and 25% of the world’s diamond production. High-quality diamonds are the hallmark of the Sakha Republic (Yakutia). Students, professionals and all interested people have the opportunity to take part in an exciting education project and get in touch with the sparkling world of jewelry.
We invite you to the fascinating project which includes in its program the whole way from mining, processing and sorting of diamonds to the transition to a sparkling diamond jewelry.
The module includes lectures of NEFU professors and leading experts of Yakut diamond trading companies, as well as practical studies. In addition to lectures the participants will have the opportunity to make their own jewelry - a diamond ring. They will cut a diamond in a factory in the actual working environment and make the ring in a jewelry laboratory of the Department of Precious Stone and Metal Processing Technology under the guidance of experienced cutters and jewelers.
The education program Diamonds Studies is designed for 1 semester. It includes eight special courses and classes in Russian and Yakut / Even languages.
- Physical Properties of Diamonds offers the opportunity to study physical properties, crystalline structure, diamond basics, recognition methods of rhinestones etc. Classes are held in the form of lectures, laboratory sessions and excursions.
- Diamonds Cutting and Polishing special course is held in lapidary lab of NEFU located in diamond-cutting factory of «EPL Diamond» company. Students will learn to cut and polish natural Yakut diamonds.
- 3D Modeling and Jewelry Design allows students to create their own design using Jewel CAD software and to print a 3D model of it.
- During Technology of Manufacture of Jewelry special course students can make their own jewelry (for example, ring). It is allowed to choose the material and technology of manufacturing the jewelry.
- During the special course Sorting and Appraising of Diamonds Rough students will gain practical skills of sorting and grading of rough diamonds. The classes are held in the Sakha Republic (Yakutia) State Depository for Precious Metals and Gems with usage of representative collections of true diamonds, mined in Yakutia.
- Practical trainings in special course of Grading and Appraisal of Diamonds Rough are held in the NEFU’s lapidary laboratory with usage of representative diamond collection. Students will learn how diamonds are evaluated and they will also get acquainted with peculiarities of Russian legislation in the area of diamonds.
- Introduction to polished diamonds trading lectures share information from the diamond specialist experience. The course includes some practical advices and tips how to buy diamonds and include some exercises on the grading and appraising polished diamonds
- Colored Gemstones of Yakutia lectures contain scientific information about gems mined in Yakutia, including minerals-satellites of diamond.
- Russian language classes are held by teachers from Department of Russian as a foreign language. Students will be divided into groups according to their level of knowledge of the Russian language. Students can also attend classes in conversational Yakut / Even language.
Duration: 1 semester (September-December / January – June)
Deadline for registration: August 20 / December 31
DIAMOND STUDIES COURSE
Special course of studies
Physical Properties of Diamonds
Diamonds Cutting and Polishing
3D Modelling and Jewelry Design
Technology of Manufacture of Jewelry
Sorting and Appraising of Diamonds Rough
Grading and Appraising of Diamonds Rough
Introduction to polished diamonds trading
Colored Gemstones of Yakutia
Other indigenous languages
--> EPL is the largest diamond manufacturer in Yakutia and the third largest exporter of polished diamonds in the Russian Federation. EPL accounts for more than 55% of jewelry production in the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) and for more than 70% of jewelry sales in this republic.
The State Precious Metals and Gems Repository of the Sakha republic (Yakutia). It is responsible for the purchase, storage, sale, and use of precious metals, precious stones, jewellery, rocks, and minerals by the State Fund.
This school offers programs in: