Hundreds of North Iowa Area Community College graduates transfer to four-year colleges and universities every year. Whether you want to become a teacher, lawyer, engineer, physician, artist or (you name it!), we can get you started. And if you’re unsure about a major, NIACC is a great place to get your feet wet.
NIACC offers the first two years toward a bachelor’s degree in virtually any field. The Associate Degree earned provides you with the general education requirements and core courses needed to continue your education as a junior at a four-year school.
Sample Schedule (2 year plan)
Total 17-18 s.h.
- ENG-105 Composition I 3 s.h.
- MAT Appropriate Math class* 3-4 s.h.
- PSY-111 Intro to Psychology OR
- SOC-110 Intro to Sociology 3 s.h.
- EDU-216 Intro to Teaching 3 s.h.
- EDU-219 Field Exper. & Seminar 1 s.h.
- PHS-142 Principles of Astronomy 3 s.h.
- SDV-199 College Essentials 1 s.h.
Total 15-16 s.h.
- ENG-106 Composition II 3 s.h.
- PSY-121 Developmental Psychology OR
- PSY-223 Child/Adolescent Psych 3 s.h.
- BIO-123 Inquiry into Life Science 4 s.h.
- Art OR Music OR Theatre 3 s.h.
- Elective 2-3 s.h.
Total 19 s.h.
- PSY-281 Educational Psychology 3 s.h.
- EDU-250 Educ. Technology/Design 3 s.h.
- Physical Science with Lab 4 s.h.
- Humanities class 6 s.h.
- SPC-112 Public Speaking 3 s.h
Total 17 s.h.
- EDU-242 Classroom Assessment 2 s.h.
- EDU-246 Including Diverse Learners 3 s.h.
- GEN. ED. Electives 6 s.h.
- Elective 6 s.h.
*– Required ACT/Compass math scores needed before enrolling in any math class. See NIACC catalog for list of Life and Physical Science courses and General Education Electives.
Note: Please check with transfer institution for their specific requirements or check with a NIACC counselor/advisor for further transfer planning.
- The Iowa Department of Education is requiring changes to the Iowa Teacher Education programs. Contact the transfer institution for specific details.
- AA Degree meets the General Education Requirements for the College of Liberal Arts at most transfer institutions.
- Check with transfer institution for Foreign Language Requirement.
- Admission requirements vary from institution to institution. Contact the transfer institution or check with a NIACC counselor/advisor for assistance.
- Suggested schedule dependent on entry level of student.
- Required GPA’s for Teacher Education Prog. vary from college to college.
- Preprofessional Skills Test (PPST) usually required before admittance.
- American History
- Strategies for Academic Success
- Introduction to Ethics
- Literature Class
- Intro to Economics
- American National Government
- College Reading Strategies
- Foreign Language