Renewable Energy Technologies prepares students for entry-level positions constructing, installing and maintaining solar and wind electricity generating systems for both residential and light commercial applications. Course curricula include English, math, science, industrial technology and electrical technology. Other topics covered include photovoltaic systems, power generation and delivery, and wind energy. Upon receiving a degree, students will also have the option of transferring into one of several Bachelor Degree programs in Renewable Energy Technologies in New York State.
The mission of the Renewable Energy Technologies AAS degree program is to prepare students for employment in solar and small wind-based renewable energy-related areas and/or for the pursuit of advanced degrees in renewable energy by educating them in the fundamental concepts, knowledge, and practices in electricity, electronics, and renewable power generation with an emphasis on equipment and system maintenance.
The program will:
- describe the role of renewable energy as an alternative energy source.
- demonstrate an understanding of the mechanical and electro-mechanical systems of Renewable Energy Technologies.
- install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair photovoltaic renewable energy systems.
- install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair wind power systems.
- demonstrate an understanding of electrical power delivery systems.
- demonstrate proficiency with multiple types of electrical test equipment.
- prepare to solve mathematical problems typically encountered in the Renewable Energy industry.