Public Sector Leadership
- Course Code: PS104
- Duration: 1 week
- Fee: £2625
Leadership and Reform of the Public Services
- Is there a leadership problem in the public services?
- Perspectives on leadership
- Remaking the welfare state
In Search of Leadership
- Myths and conundrums
- But we are different
- Leading in the absence of ‘profit’
- Performance and conformance – carrots and sticks
- Leadership and Management
- Transformational change
- Leaders and followers
- Other management leaders
- Managerial leaders and partners
- A normative model of leadership
The Leadership Trajectory
- Who are the leaders? The role of politics in public service leadership.
- Leading change and renewal – the ultimate aspiration for public service
Lessons in Leadership
- The problem leadership addresses
- Leadership processes
- Managers and elected politicians
- Those who work in the public services and wish to achieve credible and dynamic leadership.
- Managerial leaders who wish to be successful in the public services.
- Those taking on the responsibility of leadership in the public services.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to understand:
- Various theoretical perspectives on leadership.
- The tensions that can arise between the bureaucratic, administration-driven traditions of public services and the leadership and management styles required within new and emerging operating environments.
- The relationship between political leadership and organizational leadership.
- Different approaches adopted by public service leaders around the globe, including generalizable attributes of success and failure.
- Which existing theories of leadership are appropriate for a new public management context or whether new models or paradigms may be required to move forward.
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- 30 hours of classroom-based training
- Apple iPad
Program taught in:
See 131 more programs offered by London Business Training & Consulting »
Last updated June 7, 2019
This course is
July 29, 2019
Nov 18, 2019