- Duration (years): 5
- Qualification Awarded: Professional Diploma in Architecture
- Level of Qualification: Professional Diploma (1st Cycle)
- Language of Instruction: English (First and second year courses offered also in Greek)
- Mode of Study: Full-time or Part-time
- Minimum Credits: 150
- Minimum ECTS Credits: 300
Profile of the Programme:
The Architecture Program provides students with a comprehensive set of skills to prepare them for a career in Architecture.The architecture design studio is the central core of the curriculum, this is supported by the four thematic areas: architectural history and theory, architectural technology (construction, structures, environment), architectural communication (skills and techniques) and architectural management and practice. Electives are also included in the course of study to ensure that students receive a well-rounded academic base that will enhance both their personal and professional development. The programme prepares graduates to continue their studies if they wish to pursue an academic career, an/or prepares them for a labour market orientation.The programme was developed through working closely with the professional associations of Cyprus, thus graduates are prepared to work in the local industry if they so choose.The programme has been designed in accordance with the eleven points of the European Commission’s Architects Directive for the transformation of higher education in Europe initiated by the Bologna declaration; at the same time it acknowledges the importance of constructing a unique identity and catering for diversity in architectural education as influenced by local conditions (culture, climate, local market and needs etc).
Graduates from this programme are prepared to pursue a higher level of education, such as a Master or apply for PhD studies. Students who receive the 5 year Professional Diploma, can prepare for the ETEK qualifications in order to register as a local architect. Students who graduate from the programme are fully equipped to work in local or international architecture, urban design, landscape, interior design or other design offices, either private or public.
Access to Further Studies:
Graduates of the programme can be accepted into Second Cycle degrees (Master’s Degree).
The student must complete 300 ECTS and all programme requirements.
A minimum cumulative grade point average (CPA) of 2.0 is required. Thus, although a ‘D-‘ is a PASS grade, in order to achieve a CPA of 2.0 an average grade of ‘C’ is required.
On completion of the programme the student will be able to:
- Create architectural designs that satisfy both aesthetic and technical requirements.
- Critically discuss the history and theories of architecture and the related arts, technologies and human sciences.
- Identify with the fine arts as an influence on the quality of architectural design.
- Apply knowledge of urban design, planning and the skills involved in the planning process.
- Apply an understanding of the relationship between people and buildings, and between buildings and their environment, and of the need to relate buildings and the spaces between them to human needs and scale.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the profession of architecture and the role of the architect in society, in particular in preparing briefs that take into account social factors.
- Utilize the methods of investigation and preparation of the brief for a design project.
- Assess structural design, constructional and engineering problems associated with building design.
- Comprehend physical problems and technologies and of the function of buildings so as to provide them with internal conditions of comfort and protection against the climate.
- Meet building users’ requirements within the constraints imposed by cost factors and building regulations.
- Translate design concepts into buildings and integrate plans into overall planning by utilizing an adequate knowledge of the industries, organizations, regulations and procedures involved.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 25, 2017