A diploma from the University of East London, based at the Graduate School of the Environment at the Centre for Alternative Technology
This course is delivered at CAT’s Graduate School of the Environment based in the award-winning Wales Institute for Sustainable Education (WISE). Surrounded by mountains and forest, this location fosters a unique learning environment.
CAT’s 40 years of sustainable education experience has led to the development of courses that not only tackle environmental issues, but are focused on sustainability at the core of every aspect of learning.
The Professional Diploma is aimed at the architecture student who understands that the world is in a time of transition and that building design plays an important role in environmental impact. Therefore there is great potential within the profession for environmental change and this is pivotal to the entire sustainability debate.
- Aimed at students who wish to pursue a career in architecture and wish to attain a highly credited Part II diploma.
- Graduates of this course will understand built environment design in the context of adaptation to sustainability issues.
- Monthly intensive residential study weeks immerse students in their projects.
- Collaboration with external designers, architects and community projects add 'real-life' experience to the students' resumes.
- Intensive eighteen month course allows graduates to respond more quickly to the urgent need for a greater understanding of sustainability issues in the built environment.
Successful completion of the programme Professional Diploma in Architecture: Advanced Environmental and Energy Sudies at the Centre for Alternative Technology leads to the award of Professional Diploma (ProfDip) by UEL.
The Professional Diploma programme offers a unique blend of design and academic study together with practical experience. Students are equipped with the knowledge and vocational skills that are becoming increasingly important in the architectural industry.
- The following modules are delivered via a lively mixture of practical workshops, studio-based design work, site visits, seminars and lectures.
- Design studies with professional practice.
- Design and fabrication: collaborative project.
- Design and fabrication: renewable energy engineering.
- Design studies: summer school.
- Environment, energy, climate and human beings.
- Building performance and energy use.
- Building performance and use of materials.
- Exemption from RIBA part 1
- Presentation of a portfolio of work
Applicants who have been educated overseas but lack RIBA part 1 exemption can gain exemption by presenting their previous work independently to the Architects Registration Board (ARB) as an external student.
The Professional Diploma in Architecture: Advanced Environment and Energy Studies is currently prescribed by the Architects Registration Board (ARB), subject to periodic review, for the purposes of entry onto the United Kingdom Register of Architects. Prescription is normally granted on a four-yearly basis subject to ARB being satisfied that standard requirements have been met. The prescription of this qualification will be due for renewal by September 2018 as part of the four-yearly review cycle.
Currently the fees for the entire course are:
UK and EEA students: £12000 for tuition fees (over 2 year) plus accommodation and food at £40-50 per person per night
A budget plan is available on request.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated April 20, 2017