program website :
The academic year 2019-2020 “Innovation and Environmental Management for a better future”
The Post-Master International Environmental Management (EnvIM) is a Post-Master’s degree program designed for young graduates holding a Master’s degree or young professionals who wish to complete their curriculum with a specialization in the field of environmental management in an international context. Faculty, alumni, and professionals involved in the presentation of this course of study provide students with a strategic and forward-looking vision.
Participants in this training program, which is based on innovative and practical pedagogy, will have the rare opportunity to meet local and international players in Europe and Asia, thanks to the wealth of themed travel opportunities, and to the industrial partners and experts involved in its projects, lectures, or case studies.
An International Post-Master’s - Two Options
EnvIM is based on a partnership between MINES ParisTech, Tsinghua University (China), INSA Lyon (France), and the University of Pennsylvania (USA), this program leads to a Post-Master’s Degree in International Environmental Management Mastère Spécialisé MINES ParisTech, accrédité Conférence des Grandes Ecoles
This program is proposed through two options:
• EnvIM Asia: a 14-month MINES ParisTech program in partnership with Tsinghua University, a unique training pathway in France and China, initiated in 2007
• EnvIM Europe: a 12-month MINES ParisTech program in Europe, designed for International or European students, since 2013
The EnvIM training program was created in 2007 by Mines ParisTech, INSA Lyon (co-deliverers of the Post-Master for the French part), Tsinghua University in China, and the University of Pennsylvania, as a high-level academic program in these innovative fields. MINES ParisTech was founded in 1793 and has 18 Research Centers. Its high academic excellence and innovative pedagogy, with a low student/professor ratio, guarantee individualized support and personal guidance, thanks also to professionals and experts from the world of industry.
Within MINES ParisTech, the EnvIM program is 2 Mastère Spécialisé EnvIM – MINES ParisTech organized by ISIGE Institute, which belongs to the Earth and Environment Research Center situated on the Fontainebleau Campus.
ISIGE aims to train students and professionals in subjects such as environmental protection, energy transition, circular economy, and sustainable development - all topics now at the center of corporations’ management and strategic decisions.
Founded in 1911, Tsinghua University is located on the site of the former Tsinghua Garden in the Haidan District of Beijing and welcomes today more than 30,000 full-time students. The School of Environment of Tsinghua University is well known in Asia for the high quality of its teaching and research, particularly in the fields of Water Management, Waste Management, and Industrial Ecology.
Presentation of the Programs
Key concepts: Green project management, fundamentals for understanding the planet boundaries, today’s main challenges, how to deal with complex environmental context, introduction to the environmental legal and regulatory frameworks, tools for assessment and decision-making, transition from linear to circular, life-cycle thinking, entrepreneurship in the environmental sector.
Each project is unique and organized with dedicated lectures and teamwork. Some examples:
- Environmental and Social and Impact Assessment of a Large Dam project (Ilisu, Turkey)
- Entrepreneurship, innovations and society for the energy transition
- Agro-ecology and challenges of feeding 9 billion people in 2050
- Urban Sustainable Development
EnvIM ASIA – a France /China pathway
This 14-month program in France and China, designed for students and young professionals who will acquire new knowledge’s, competencies, and best management practices from lectures and case studies in China and France that focus on environmental protection and climate change.
The program begins in September with a brief orientation in Paris and a 3-month academic period at the School of Environment at Tsinghua University, followed by a 4-month academic period in France at MINES ParisTech (Common program for ASIA and Europe options).
This academic pathway through France and China leads to the MINES ParisTech post-master in International Environmental Management. In parallel, Tsinghua University opens the possibility for EnvIM students to apply to the Master of Engineering in Environmental Engineering.
- September 3 – 6: 2019 Welcome week, Paris, France
- September 9 - December 18, 2019: the academic period in China offered by THU/SoE:
- January 6 - April 30, 2020: core academic period in France, at MINES ParisTech, and two weeks organized by INSA Lyon in January
- A 6-month professional period in a company or organization, May to October, during which the student prepares a professional thesis and defends it in Paris and in Beijing, in November and December 2020
EnvIM - Europe
This 12-month Europe program in France leads to the Post-Master’s degree from MINES ParisTech, co-signed by INSA Lyon, designed for international, European students and young professionals who will learn about European practices and acquire new knowledge’s and competencies for their professional careers in Environmental Management.
EnvIM Europe consists of:
- The 4-month common section in Paris and Fontainebleau (common with EnvIM – Asia students), January 6 to April 30, 2020,
- A month dedicated Project and field trip, in May 2020
A 5-month professional period in a company or o Paris, December 2020.
EnvIM Six-month period of training
Students have to find and complete a 6-month internship (5-month for the EnvIM Europe Program) between June and December 2020 in a company or an organization. The topic and main mission of this professional period are conceived and offered by a company, an institution, or an NGO, to solve some of their current issues relating to the environment, energy transitions or sustainable development.
This is a chance for the student to build on his or her prior studies and to use skills recently acquired from the post-master's program by successfully carrying out a meaningful project in an international, professional setting.
Students may have a wide variety of backgrounds in natural sciences, engineering, business and economics, urban planning, political and social sciences, and the environment and sustainable development. High English proficiency is required as the classes and projects are conducted in English. You have to fulfill one of the following conditions to be entitled to apply for EnvIM:
- Young graduates holding a Master’s degree or equivalent degree.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 3 years of professional experience in the environment or connected topics
- University of Pennsylvania Master’s Degree students: one year of graduate courses. Contact Prof. John Keene or Dr. Yvette Bordeaux.
- Tsinghua Master Degree students, contact Prof. MING Zhao (THU/SoE School of Environment).
The admission period opens in December each year. The process for applications is the following :
- Pre-selection based on the application files – from January to the beginning of April, (earlier for students who need to apply for a scholarship)
- Written test and interview, conducted by a panel of professionals and professors, to get to know the applicant, his/her professional projects and goals, and to ensure coherence with each project and the program. Interviews can be held by video-conference for applicants out of France.
Acceptance into this program is determined by academic achievements, motivation, test and interview. Admissions close by the beginning of April for the EnvIM Asia program, and the end of September for the EnvIM Europe program.
Financing the program
Most students finance the cost of the program with their own funds or student loans. However, French banks generally require a guarantor located in France. In all cases, the 6-month period in a company or internship is usually paid and provides students with extra financial resources. Under certain conditions, some EnvIM students may find and undertake an internship with a French industrial partner to work on a specific study. In some cases, (in France usually and for specific studies linked to R & D only) the Company pays for part of the student's tuition fees in the EnvIM Program.
Financing for international students: this joint program does not offer any possibility to apply for a scholarship directly, (except for the particular case of some Tsinghua Chinese students) and students have to contact “Campus France” in their country.
The post-master EnvIM prepares for environmental professions in the broad sense, and possibilities depend upon each individual and professional project. Alumni are working in various sectors such as water or waste management, energy, circular economy, urban development, territorial development, in large companies, as well as small enterprises, startups, public institutions, and NGOs….
Some examples of positions: Environmental manager in an international context, Engineer Renewable Energy, Sustainable Development Manager or Consultant, Environmental research Analyst, Sustainability analyst, Green Business Development Manager, Junior project manager for green development…
EnvIM option Asia students reach excellent hiring rates – more than 50% find a position before graduation - and quickly integrate leading industrial stakeholders. All students benefit from ISIGE and MINES ParisTech Alumni Network to move into top-management jobs, either in France or elsewhere.