THIS PROGRAM IS TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
Today’s publicity, marketing, and product development models are often out of sync with social evolution and the way we experience everyday life. That is why it is now more important than ever for professionals in any field to keep in touch with the consumer’s culture, expectations, and experiences.
The Postgraduate Course in Trend Research takes students on a journey into the world of consumer trends, which goes from understanding how and why they come about and how to detect them, to know how to understand them and apply them successfully.
General objectives of the course
The aim of the Postgraduate is to help students to construct the critical vision required to identify why things happen, which forces are driving change and how these changes represent new opportunities for businesses.
- Identify major consumer trends based on a variety of online and offline sources.
- Analyze consumer trends by learning to identify how and why they come about.
- Understand the impact they have or will have on different sectors of the economy.
The Postgraduate is divided into complementary modules that follow the development stages of research projects: History and Theories of Consumption, Consumer Behaviour, Industry Structure and Applying Consumer Trends Research to Decision-making.
The first module examines the consumption system and the different theories that analyze the existence and propagation of trends.
The second module focuses on understanding consumers, how they think, feel and behave.
The third module takes an in-depth look at the dynamics and rules underlying the functioning of the industry today. The fourth module is on understanding how consumers respond and what forces are driving companies. It takes an in-depth look at how business decisions are made by using studies of consumer trends and behavior.
Class time is divided into theoretical classes taught by renowned practitioners, workshops, excursions around the city to explore innovative businesses in situ and discussions with professionals to learn from their opinions and knowledge.
The entire process ends with an individual practical project that is continuously developed over the duration of the course. The project gives students an opportunity to put into practice what they have learned during the program and to check the feasibility of their proposals based on the support of a sponsor company.
This Postgraduate course is geared towards graduates and professionals who, beyond a mere curiosity that proves essential in today’s world, are eager to take on the knowledge and skills needed to play a leading role in designing concepts, services, and products to suit new consumers.
It proves of particular interest to professionals who wish to turn trend research into their field of expertise or those who wish to work in marketing, publicity or design and would like to learn how to capitalize on the value of trends in their daily tasks.
Access to the course will be limited to candidates who are able to show proof of a university degree or equivalent. Candidates who lack the requisite university qualifications may access the course based on their professional achievements. In this case, IED Barcelona will, at its own discretion, decide as to the type of qualification they will be given.
Students must provide the following information:
- Copy of DNI (Spanish students) or passport (foreign students).
- Copy of university degree (bachelor’s, degree or equivalent).
- Letter of motivation in the language of the Master’s degree course.
- A CV in the language of the Master’s degree course specifying language and IT skills.
- Language certificate: Courses in English require an intermediate level, corresponding to TOEFL or IELTS 6.5. Courses in Spanish require a B2 language level. If a prospective student has neither of these certificates, his or her language skills will be assessed in a face-to-face interview or via a Skype call.
- Portfolio for creative Master’s degree courses and/or admission exercise if required.
- Students with a university degree can be admitted into the programs, while those without may be admitted into specific programs on the basis of their professional merits. In the latter case, it will be at the discretion of IED Barcelona to determine what type of certification will be obtained.
Forecasting, branding, trend research, data mining, social media monitoring, product development, advertising, innovation consultancy or a career in research in the public sector or for non-profit organizations, among other options.
Trained as a lawyer, Noelia has a wide-ranging experience of marketing and product development with top consumer companies (including Chupa Chups, where she developed flavors for the Japanese market). Her interest in consumer trends led her to found Nouvel in 2004 with the aim of helping companies to face the challenges of innovation. Noelia gives talks and lectures and cooperates with IESE, UAB, and international business schools.
Barcelona-based consumer trends and innovation consultancy. It offers brands practical tools for developing new products, services, and business models. Its clients include Danone, Nestlé, Carlsberg, Victoria’s Secret, and L’Oreal.
Duration and frequency
- Timetable: full time
- Frequency: 3 months