It is increasing the need for working dogs in today's society, both in the fields of guide dogs and assistance, as well as detection, security, civil protection, therapy and assisted interactions.
Within this context the qualification of specialist instruction dedicated to assisting people with disabilities, as a support tool and indispensable in daily tasks, as well as in maintaining the good health of its user dogs is necessary.
On 19 November 2009 the Parliament of Catalonia unanimously approved the Law of access to the environment of persons with disability user assistance dogs. This legislation is a step forward regarding the law governing access to the environment of people with visual impairment accompanied by guide dogs, as it not only gives coverage to the users of this type of dogs, but also to all those with hearing impairment, physical, autism or certain diseases that are assisted by other dogs specially trained to guide them, help them in daily tasks or warn them of danger or imminent attacks. The new law guarantees access to places, premises, facilities, accommodation, transport and public or public use for people with disabilities and their service dogs spaces. It also regulates the training and care of such dogs as well as centers responsible for it.
At present the regulation mark accreditation to work in specialized centers and in Catalonia have been regulated by law 19/2009 of 26 November of access to the environment of people accompanied by assistance dogs, and which also recognition of professional training without officially recognized professional qualifications is collected, and while this is no professional qualification implanted.
This professional group is categorized as a professionalizing Level 3 certification, which unifies training and accredits national competitions, systematizing the training acquired in non-formal training circuits Thus, these studies contribute to people engaged in this profession the knowledge required and adjusted to the current rules, both as regards: technical skills where the need for knowledge about the behavior of dogs that will go to this type of work is observed, and the various own techniques for training assistance dogs.
Also in terms of knowledge of the different groups and potential users of a dog of these characteristics, physical, emotional and animal welfare, foreseeing the dangers, identifying risks to work optimally.
Train the Instructor Assistance Dogs for linking consistent, flexible and safe way to select, train and link with their users the five types of assistance dogs under the Act 19/2009 Access to the environment of people accompanied assistance dogs (notice or medical alert, assistance, guide dogs, autism spectrum, service dogs), knowing and valuing the abilities of dogs to train them as service dogs according to the needs of these users.
Prepare the professional to develop their activity both as self employed.
- Graduates, diploma holders or graduates with knowledge and experience in the area of knowledge
- If you do not have a university degree the student must demonstrate professional experience in the field of study and he will receive a certificate of attendance
- To access this graduate is imperative that the student has completed the training and accreditation of Training Base and Canine Education and Graduate Education Canine Work Units, or displayed in a prior assessment of the direction of the program that owns the level knowledge and skills comparable to graduate mentioned.
This profession is located in prevention and human security, as well as those related to care for people with disabilities associated with productive activities related to training and education assistance dogs.
As discussed in the presentation, training for the registration in the Register of Welfare and Family of the Generalitat of Catalonia for accreditation for professional performance:
- Personal assistance and Unit
- Trainer / Instructor / Guide Dog Assistance
- Trainer-educator Canino
- Trainer / Instructor guide dogs
- Trainer / Instructor Dog Service
- Trainer / Instructor Signal dogs
- Trainer / Instructor dog warning
- Trainer / Instructor dogs for people with autism spectrum disorders.
- Bio programs detection and investigation
- Instructor / Trainer / Guide Dogs assisted therapy and activities with dogs
- Knowledge and understanding that provide a basis or opportunity to be original in the development and / or implementation of ideas.
- That the students can apply their knowledge and their ability to solve problems in new or unfamiliar environments within broader (or multidisciplinary) contexts related to their field of study.
- That students are able to integrate knowledge and handle complexity, and formulate judgments based on information that was incomplete or limited, includes reflections on social and ethical responsibilities linked to the application of their knowledge and judgments.
- Students can communicate their conclusions with the knowledge and rationale underpinning to specialists and non-specialists in a clear and unambiguous manner.
- Students must possess the learning skills that enable them to continue studying in a way that will be largely self-directed or autonomous.
- Prepare the puppy and / or integrate external dogs breeding line to be trained as a service dog.
- Train the dog with basic training techniques
- And link train guide dogs for visually impaired
- Link train and signal dogs for the hearing impaired
- Train and link warning dogs for people with disabilities and recurrent crises with sensory disconnection
- And link train service dogs for people with physical disabilities
- And link train dogs for people with disabilities by autism spectrum disorders.
- Identify the factors involved in the learning process assistance dog.
- Select, through breeding programs and alien to them according to the characteristics of the work the service dog must develop
- Apply knowledge of Ethology and maintenance assistance dogs to optimize processes linkage between the dog and the user.
Team management skills:
- Selecting and applying knowledge about training and performance in every situation in which you can find assistance dog.
- Identify job skills needed for professional working with assistance dogs.
- Select the teams suited to prepare, train and link assistance dogs to people with disabilities.
- Planning work programs and training of assistance dogs.
- Prevent risks and identify themselves in activities involving assistance dogs.
The third block of powers wing corresponds rules governing professional activity and risk prevention this:
- Review both regional and state legislation and international in reference to the workplace and apply it to their performance
- Identify risks and risk referral required (safe) to act on tasks Assistance canine units work
- Knowing the basic guidelines for developing a Intervention Plan Canine Unit Working in this area.
- Knowing the responsibilities in the service offered to the Canine Assistance Work Units
- Apply the rules of risk prevention and Animal Welfare in training processes, applying it to users, trainers and dogs
- Acquire tools to increase self-worth and confidence professional working dog trainer
- Reasoned decisions regarding the technical performance of therapeutic and educational interactions with animals
- To analyze the variables involved in the area of knowledge management program
- Recognize and solve problems related to the area of knowledge management program and technical
- Project management capacity
- Manage human, bibliographic and documentary resources.
- Used for data search in institutions and libraries. Access to databases, selective Internet browsing.
- Using research methods, collecting information and processing it.
- Communicate orally and in writing: use appropriate scientific terminology, writing professional reports, write publications, orally defend and argue their contributions, use of tools to include graphic displays
- Capacity management by objectives
- Reflect on the forms of communication necessary for good management.
- Teamwork interdisciplinary
- Develop a learning process based on reflection in action
- Promote the culture of mediation and conflict resolution through dialogue
- Ethical commitment in the performance of technical
- Projects integrate concern for quality and animal welfare