The Post Graduate Diploma in International Business (PGDipIB) is an applied qualification through which you will learn the practical methods of conducting international business.
The PGDipIB aims to prepare you to work successfully in the 21st-century global business environment. Offering a blend of theoretical and practical learning, with an emphasis on applied knowledge and skill.
High importance is placed on the development of core transferrable skills (such as advanced communication, presentation, interpersonal and problem-solving skills) in addition to the development of specific international business knowledge.
A key feature of the PGDipIB is that it is industry-oriented, with continued local and national industry input into the programmes structure, content and direction. An Advisory Committee assists the Programme Area in assessing the continued relevance of the curriculum and monitoring academic standards.
Upon graduating you will be able to critically evaluate international business opportunities in terms of commercial, environmental, ethical and social viability and develop a strategic plan to deliver goods and services. You will have demonstrated your ability to adapt and innovate in the complex and changeable international environment and to work knowledgeably, productively and professionally in a wide range of organisations.
Career opportunities & pathways
As a result of this training and experience, upon graduating from the programme you will be able to work as a self-employed practitioner or pursue a national or international professional career with commercial bodies and agencies, in the following areas within the business environment such as:
- Strategic management
- Business management
- Independent business operations
- Human resource management
- Financial and cost analysis
- Venture enterprise
- Product and service marketing
- Technology support services
- Corporate planning
You may also continue your studies onto an MBA or Masters programme.
Internship with study
You have the option to apply for an internship at a local company. The internship will allow you to gain valuable business experience and a reference for your CV which may assist you with your next step up the corporate ladder in New Zealand.
- Perspectives on International Trade
- International Strategic Management
- Managing in a Globalised World
- Global Logistics and the Supply Chain Management
- International Strategic Marketing
- International Financial Management
- International Business Project
- Applied Research Methods
Applicants must have:
- An undergraduate degree in any business-related area from a New Zealand tertiary institution accredited to offer qualifications at this level; or
- An undergraduate degree from an overseas tertiary institution, deemed by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority to be of equivalent standing; or
- Equivalent practical, professional or educational experience.
English language requirements
All applicants must have a level of English sufficient to be able to study at this level. Those students whose first language is not English must have:
- An international English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall academic score of at least 6.5 (with at least 6.0 in each band) issued within the last two years or equivalent.
Applicants are required to provide two confidential references from people able to affirm the applicant is of good character and reputation.
In exceptional circumstances, an applicant who does not meet the academic requirements may be granted entry to the programme. They must supply evidence to satisfy the Academic Committee of their ability to succeed on the Postgraduate Diploma in International Business.
All applicants will be interviewed to assess their suitability for the programme.
It is strongly recommended that students are able to competently utilise digital applications and technologies at an advanced level.
||Annual fees (domestic)
|Government tuition subsidy
Additional fees may apply.