The Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Management and Leadership (PG Dip EML) is a one-year postgraduate qualification that seeks to develop capacity in management and leadership in an educational management context. The focus of the programme is to improve the practice of management and leadership in the educational sector.
The programme enables students with an education background to develop integrated and functional reflective competences in educational management. It is intended for educational managers and those aspiring to occupy managerial positions in educational institutions. The programme examines issues such as management principles, educational governance, leadership in education, financial management in educational institutions and the use of information technology in education.
A person attaining the Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Management and Leadership will be able to:
- Acquire academic and professional knowledge required for leadership of educational institutions
- Apply management principles in an educational context
- Administer financial resources in an educational institution
- Evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of the functioning of an educational institution
- Display knowledge of the provisions of relevant legislation relating to the governance of educational institutions
- Be aware of the implications of information and communication technology
- Articulate vertically onto the RBS MBA degree programme
The entrance requirement for admission to the Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Management and Leadership is a Bachelors Degree and a recognised teaching qualification or equivalent or a recognised Bachelor of Education degree at NQF level 7.
The programme consists of six modules offered over two semesters as follows:
- Management Principles
- Leadership in Education
- Governance in Education
- Using Information Technology
- Financial Decision Making in Educational Management
- Research in Educational Management Project