The program focuses on courses in the liberal arts and physical education theory and activity with an emphasis on health awareness, sportsmanship, and professionalism. Students will graduate from the program with a specific knowledge base and experiences in the areas of movement, sport/athletics, recreation, and the life sciences. Individual and dual sports, fitness and conditioning, team sports, recreation, and health are among the areas that will be studied.
Employment projections for western New York and western Pennsylvania indicate an increased need for physical education, health, and coaching positions. Similar projections for New York state, based on information from schools, colleges, universities, and private sector businesses, also suggest the need for more wellness, fitness, and recreation instructors as increasing numbers of baby boomers approach retirement.
Career and Transfer Options
The program provides a strong foundation for a variety of career and transfer options, including:
- Physical education
- Coaching certification
- Personal training
- Sports medicine
- Health education
- Athletic training
- Exercise physiology
- Sport Psychology
- Sports management and administration
- Recreation and intramural administration
- ENG 1530: English Composition II
- ENG 1540: Writing About Literature
- Social Sciences Electives
- Up to 9 credits may need to be SUNY General Education-category specific.
- Mathematics Electives (college level)
- Sciences Electives CSC courses may be applied, up to 3 credits may need to be SUNY General Education-category specific.
PHE 1670: Introduction to Physical Education
Any additional PHE course beyond the Core Requirements
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Classify anatomical and/or physiological terms correctly when describing the human body.
- Recognize the elements/benefits of sound nutrition and a healthy diet.
- Apply first aid and CPR and describe specific methods to prevent, recognize, and treat common injuries.
This school offers programs in: