This one-year Ontario College Graduate Certificate (completed in two semesters) is designed for university and college graduates seeking a career in the operations management sector.
Graduates are involved in decision making related to planning, operating, and control within a business or organization. The curriculum will focus on applied knowledge in the field of business operations within a global economy, encompassing the planning and management of all operations (e.g., supply chain elements, purchasing, production and operations planning and control, transportation and distribution, project planning, quality assurance) involved in businesses of varying size and complexity.
Learning activities support the development of supervisory and teamwork skills. Graduates are familiar with the use of information and manufacturing technology.
Candidates who are considering this program should be aware that they will need to enjoy working with people, and solving problems. To be successful in this field they will need to acquire human relations and interpersonal skills, and learn to work under pressure when responding to diverse business situations.
Graduates who meet these learning outcomes will have the skills and flexibility to apply their knowledge in a variety of leadership and supervisory positions in the service sector, in manufacturing, or in government. They may be employed in supply chain management, production analysis, project management, materials planning, inventory management, purchasing, value analysis, and quality assurance.
In order to maintain competence and function effectively within the materials and operations management field, the graduate must be committed to continued professional development. Many professional organizations associated with this area of employment offer educational programs and certification related to specific areas of expertise. These additional professional designations are important for successful career planning.
A Two- or Three-Year College Diploma, or a Degree (Note: minimum 'C+' average or cumulative 2.5 GPA)
Acceptable combination of related work experience and post-secondary education as judged by the College*
Five years of work experience in the operations management field as judged by the College to be equivalent*
Note: Applicants may be required to submit a resume and cover letter that includes details of work experience.
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
- A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 570 for the paper-based test (PBT), or 88 for the Internet-based test (iBT), with test results within the last two years
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test with an overall score of 6.5 with no score less than 6.0 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 70 with no score less than 60 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years
- An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 75% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years
Recommended Academic Preparation
It is highly recommended that students be proficient in the following areas before entry into the program:
- Business Communication
- Computer applications, particularly Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 13, 2016